Member of the Month for June 2016 Scorpion68

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member of the Month for June 2016 Scorpion68

Wow, these months just fly by, but that's good, because we have another great member to honor. Please welcome Chuck, otherwise known as Scorpion68 as our newest member of the month.
    Hey ya'll. Chuck here. Although born in St. Louis, Mo., I was raised in the little town of Kinmundy, Ill. We moved there when I was 5 yrs old. After graduating high school I worked in the gladiola fields near Momence, Ill and a steel mill in Granite City, Ill. I joined the Navy in 1965 and never looked back. I loved it and stayed with it for my lifes work. Along the way, in 1968 I married my wife, Cathy and we traveled all over - Alaska,Hawaii, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Scotland and just about every state in the union. I was the operations chief at Naval Security Group Activity in Homestead, Florida when hurricane Andrew hit and wiped us slick. After helping relocate all our people, I decided to retire in 1992 and we moved to central Florida and settled in. This is where I got my first taste of artifacts. I was the sexton for a 50 acre city cemetery and used to go out with the grave diggers to show them where to dig the graves. They showed me some of the stuff they had been finding and I started doing the research. One guy had a pink coral spear blade that was over 6" long. I was hooked. I would go out and search the waste dirt piles and found a number of scrapers and points and displayed them in the office. After we relocated to Byrdstown, Tennessee in 2007, I was at it again. I think I was looking for artifacts online when I came across Arrowheads.com. I watched the website for a few days then joined. I've gotten a lot more from AH than I have given. I have learned so much about artifacts, fossils and rocks from this membership. It's a privilege to be a member of a group dedicated to preserving ancient history on a personal level and helping those of us less knowledgeable to learn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chuck2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	164.3 KB ID:	211034
    Last edited by Hoss; 12-30-2016, 12:35 PM.
    South Dakota

Well deserved Chuck. Great bio. Glad to have your here.
    Last edited by CoachG; 05-31-2016, 11:25 PM.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      CoachG - one of these days I'm gonna get ya over to my side of the mountain for a hunt. ...Chuck

• CoachG
      CoachG commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds good. I've got to get to digging again. Hopefully soon. Anytime you need a hunting partner just holler.

• CoachG
      CoachG commented
      Editing a comment
      And I meant to thank you for your service.

Chuck, congrats on a well deserved member of the month

a US NAVY guy huh. cool beans
    both my sons served 6.5 years in the US NAVY.one was a cryptology tech in little creek the whole time,the other was an IT tech on the USS IOWA JIMA for 4 years then was stationed in DC for 2 years,couldnt tell us what he did there.

thanks for your dedication to serving our country.
    once again congrats on the M.O.M.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was a CTR - Cryptologic Technician Radioman and was stationed in DC area for about 8 yrs. I was stationed at the National Security Agency near Baltimore and we had a slew of people at the Pentagon. Thank your sons for me for their service to this great country.
      Last edited by Scorpion68; 06-01-2016, 08:48 AM. Reason: clarify post

Thank you for your service Chuck. Congratulations on the Member of the month you are well deserving of this honor.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hoss. ..Chuck

Chuck the honor is ours my friend. I have watched your posts progress from timid to outspoken, and always with helpful incites and useful tips.
    Is there a reason why you didn't stay for the 30 and out pension?
    I have friends in the Canadian Navy who are a couple of years away from 30 and out with the full pension.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bruce - I got my pension but only 67.5% of it for 27 yrs service. We get 50% for 20 yrs - then 2.5% for each additional year. I had been trying to get back to Europe with my family for years but my detailers would only offer me shipboard duty or back to the far east. I opted to retire instead. Never regretted it and it was time to hand the reins over to the younger guys and gals anyway. ..Chuck

Congratulations chuck

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rock queen. ..Chuck

Hey Chuck, Congrats MOTM. I always enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for all you bring to this forum. And a huge thanks for your service to this great nation.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron. Serving in the Navy was truly my privilege. ..Chuck

Well deserved Chuck, your a great part of our family here. I'm glad your back again and always willing to share what you know, what you find and what you think.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Greg - I'll keep learning. ..Chuck

Well deserved, Chuck. Congrats to you! The Navy is big in Rhode Island, Naval War College, etc......
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks CMD. My wife is from Rhode Island, Johnston to be exact. My brother was stationed on a destroyer (USS Zellars DD-777) in Newport. ..Chuck

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Small world, Chuck!

Congratulations on member of the month Chuck! Well deserved honor, I 've been enjoying your post and seeing your finds! Thanks for your service in the Navy, I truly appreciate all veterans who have served to protect our freedoms!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh. It was my privilege to serve. I really enjoy your posts. ..Chuck

Congratulations thanks for what you bring to this forum
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks chase - we gonna have to get together sometime so I can put a face with a name. ...Chuck

Congrats Chuck; well earned MOTM.

Comment

Congratulations Chuck!
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Good job Chuck! Members like you make this site a lot of fun!

Comment

Congratulations Chuck, and thank you for your service!
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          X