MOTM for Sept 2016 Cskelton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOTM for Sept 2016 Cskelton

It's that time again, when we get to welcome our new MOTM for Sept 2016. It's always a bit exciting, and equally so this month. Please welcome Chad, also known as Cskelton, as our new honoree.

First of all thank you. It's an honor to be considered. To be truthful, I felt that a great many members didn't believe me when I started posting the finds we make in our yard. That and sometimes sharing (posting) feels like boasting or gloating, when I know how hard others have to work for their artifacts and how few and far between they can be. My intent is to share, learn, and help keep the kids enthusiastic about their finds.
    A little about me. I am so blessed by God, to have what I do. I was born and raised here on the family ranch. From the time I was old enough to walk I enjoyed finding stuff. Growing up I went everywhere with a rifle and a fishing pole, in search of adventure, still do... only now I go with my wife and kids whenever possible. I want to instill a love for the natural world in them. Digging is family time.. the artifacts are a bond.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	cskelton1.png Views:	1 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	224076
    Click image for larger version  Name:	cskelton2.png Views:	1 Size:	5.0 KB ID:	224077
    Click image for larger version  Name:	cskelton4.png Views:	1 Size:	4.4 KB ID:	224078
    Last edited by Hoss; 12-30-2016, 12:29 PM.
    South Dakota

I had the Pleasure of meeting the gang this last month,and I feel it is only fitting I give everyone a little insight on how the roll.
    The Skelton Gang

Meet the gang:

Chad the dad aka: “The Hole Digger”
    Carrie his wife aka: “The Care Taker”
    Youngest Aya aka: “Baby Face”
    Daughter Allie aka: “Allie Oakley”
    Daughter Maddie aka: “The Mad Digger”
    Son Liam aka: “The Walk Digger”

This Gang are formidable artifact hunters. Residing in Central Montana with their secret hide out called “The Hole in the Dirt.” They spend hours on end looking for the bounty buried from the past. meticulously leaving no stone unturned or inspected. Raking in the treasures they recover.

The Hole Digger,” along with the “Care Taker,” run this rough group of artifact hunters. With “Baby Face” still being taught the ropes, and being wet behind the ears (and other places at time) keep the rest of the gang in line. “Baby Face” is sly and cunning. She has the whole gang wrapped around her finger and is the center of all their attention. With a coo and a smile she will steal your heart.

Chad the Dad, “The Hole Digger,” plots the jobs of where the gang is going to dig next, predicting they can bank on finding another loot of artifacts. He is there to support the gang and leads, with the rest of the gang falling into place.

Carrie, “The Care Taker” is the backbone of the operation. Nothing gets done without her knowing about it. Keeping them all in line, including the “Hole Digger,” she makes sure the gang is fed and ready to tackle their next heist. Passionate for the gangs well being, she guides them in the chores that need to be done. They all know she is the one that they go to for everything.

The seasoned member of the gang referred to as “Allie Oakley,” takes dead aim on artifacts and finds them. She can spot artifacts with just a glint of exposure of any artifact showing. It does not matter if its in front of her or behind her, she knocks them down with precision and accuracy. she will plucks them up for the bounty, like any seasoned sharpshooter is trained to do. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2427.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	224084
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2425.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	224089

The next in line is” Maddie the Mad Digger.” With her tools of the trade holstered, she is quick on the draw and can dig out every artifact from dirt banks, filling her pockets full of those treasures. She has been up against the best in trench warfare and rarely misses an artifact in her eye site. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2414.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	224085

Name:	DSCN2411.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	224086

Liam the “Walk Digger,” has the eyes of an eagle, he sees artifacts when others can't. Don't turn your back on the dirt piles behind you or they will become new booty for the “Walk Digger.” Known through out the land for the sound of a coo and yelps of joy. A the gang all know when they hear that sound the “Walk Digger” has struck pay dirt, and leaves many scratching their heads on how they missed that artifact. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2420.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	224087

Name:	DSCN2418.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	224088

Now that's a formidable bunch! Congratulations! Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2430.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	224083
    Last edited by chase; 08-31-2016, 11:03 PM.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Cskelton
      Cskelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Chase. I really appreciate this post. This is going to make the kids' day. I can't wait to show them what you posted.

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Chase. Many thanks for posting the additional pictures of the children with their finds. Your "mini biographies" of the family members was a nice touch, also.

Chad it is a real pleasure to have you here on the forum and you being asked to be member of the month was inevitable.
    What an awesome looking family and place you have my friend.
    Please don't worry about looking like you are boasting Chad.
    I never sit down to look at the forum without a bib on so bring on the drool fest.
    I have to ask Chad. How did you get Chase to make such a straight forward honest to god good profile of you and your family????
    Without so much as blinking an eye Chase never once reverted to his old style of ribbing.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Cskelton
      Cskelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Bruce,
      Thank you. Chase was wonderful. He had a huge amount of patience with the kids, especially my son. Chase broke out his metal detector and within a few minutes Liam had taken it over. Chase was very accommodating to let a 5 year old handle his expensive equipment, and soon realized he wasn't going to get to use his own detector or find anything with the boy wielding it. I had a great time learning and discussing artifacts...

Congrats Chad and family! We have enjoyed your being here and sharing with us. We'll deserved.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hey Chad, Congrats to our newest member of the month. I always read your posts with great interest. You find beautiful artifacts. You live in a beautiful location. You have a beautiful family. Chad you are truly blessed but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

P.S. Nice cat: That one won't be bothering the livestock.
      Last edited by Ron Kelley; 09-01-2016, 07:24 AM.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cskelton
        Cskelton commented
        Editing a comment
        Ron, thank you. Remind me to tell you the story on this cat. I think you will find it very interesting.

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Chad, I know I will find the cat story very interesting; Can't wait to hear the story of that one.

Congratulations Chad, I always look forward to seeing what y'all are pulling out of the ground next. looks like a great place to live, and a you have a beautiful family. Happy hunting, and keep showing us the finds! Cheers

Comment

Congratulations on Member of the Month Chad. You have a wonderful family and just think, they're all in cahoots with you. It's just great that you're hunting and collecting is a family affair. I always enjoy your posts and don't think it's bragging when you share your finds. We all want to see them and share ours as well. Congrats again. ...Chuck
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Congratulations Chad. You have a lovely family and an absolutely stunning surrounding of your ranch. Judging by the things you find right in your yard I think people have liked that spot for a homestead for a very long time. Keep the pics and stories coming. This makes your posts even better now from seeing those happy little faces. Congrats again...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Congrat's had! Really like The Awesome thing's You have shared with us.
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I always look forward to seeing your artifacts. Member of the month is a well deserved recognition All I can say is " Wow!" You have the whole family on board with you and besides that you are living in Gods Country. Love the back drop views from your deck. Love the smiling faces of your children. Love seeing all your finds. Thank you for sharing with us here at Arrowheads.com forums.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Cskelton
                Cskelton commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you hoss, as always.

Congratulations. Beautiful family you have andnit is awesome that you all share the love of digging together. Plus you don't even have to leave your yard. Amazing.

Comment

Enjoy seeing what y'all are finding out west, that is a special place you live on and even more special family. Congrats, and good luck hunting for you and your crew.

Comment

The background is gorgeous! It looks like my cousin Nellie's ranch up near Billings. Once your hole dries up, you can always find another one out there. And you have a beautiful family! You are very blessed with smiling children! Welcome aboard as MOTM. You are well deserved. Paul
                  http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Cskelton
                    Cskelton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you.

Hi Chad. Congratulations. The PTBs (powers that be) made an excellent choice. I, like everyone it seems, enjoy your posts and look forward to seeing what you are finding at "Chad's Site". I still think that your chances of finding a fluted point are good. Thanks for showing us the pic of your lovely family. It sounds like the cougar story could be interesting. Maybe you could post it in the Beasties section sometime.

Comment

Chad, I am just curious. Are you basically just digging and searching the shovel fulls of dirt for artifacts? The reason I wonder is, what your finding and what's in the frames are from such assorted time frames, from what looks like Paleo to historic. Are the artifacts coming out at random like this? If so, I would like to suggest ( unless you already have done it ) move several feet away where you haven't done any digging. Measure off a square about 4' x 4', and remove the top several inches of topsoil with a flat shovel. Then work down, scraping each layer of about an inch at a time with a trowel. Thousands of years ago, there may have been a small lake or pond at your site, that has since dried up and replaced by sediments. You may find much more interest in what your finding, if your site can tell a story about who occupied the place from maybe the 1200's back to 9000 B.C. Your site may be stratified, and it's amazing what you can learn as you peel back the layers of time preserved in the ground. You can look at the walls of the sides of the hole, and see different colors, maybe some ancient bits of charcoal, where there might have been a hearth for cooking, or even if your lucky, some preserved bone pieces from extinct animals. Just a thought.
                    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Tam
                      Tam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Learned somthing I am going to try here PK
                  Working...
                  X