Gobekli tepe and Younger Dryas Comet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gobekli tepe and Younger Dryas Comet

So, does Gobekli tepe confirm a comet precipitated the Younger Dryas? Ya got me....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...0950bc-wiping/

http://maajournal.com/Issues/2017/Vo...017%281%29.pdf

ABSTRACT

We have interpreted much of the symbolism of Göbekli Tepe in terms of astronomical events. By matching low-relief carvings on some of the pillars at Göbekli Tepe to star asterisms we find compelling evidence that the famous ‘Vulture Stone’ is a date stamp for 10950 BC ± 250 yrs, which corresponds closely to the proposed Younger Dryas event, estimated at 10890 BC. We also find evidence that a key function of Göbekli Tepe was to observe meteor showers and record cometary encounters. Indeed, the people of Göbekli Tepe appear to have had a special interest in the Taurid meteor stream, the same meteor stream that is proposed as responsible for the Younger-Dryas event. Is Göbekli Tepe the ‘smoking gun’ for the Younger-Dryas cometary encounter, and hence for coherent catastrophism?
    Rhode Island

Hi Charlie. Thanks for posting those links. In response to your question. I don't know either. And neither does anyone else. Sarah the science editor of that rag is another journalistic hack.The journalists that cover the "science beat" are often just as quick to "jump the gun" on science questions as are the ones who cover the "political beat". Their main interest is in sensationalizing a subject whenever possible in order to drive up readership. It is all about stirring up controversy. They take an hypothesis or a theory in its beginning stage and make the most of it to those in the general public who may have an interest in science whether it be anthropology or cosmology. Regarding the original science article: Unlike poor Sarah, the authors, like you and I, say they don't know either but they seem to be pushing very hard in that direction. Among the different scientific disciplines there seem to be some who have among their members folks who are most likely to want to jump the gun The prime ones seem to be archeologists. There are others kinds of scientists who do this also but archies seem to be the ones who do this the most as compared to chemists and physicists, etc. At first it was Paleo man getting so adept at hunting that he killed off all the big critters; then it was just the natural result from the beginning of the last interglacial climatic period such as the one we are still in now. The fad among these writers now seems to be mass extinctions of animals brought about by comets striking the earth. Now some mass extinction theories have more validity than others. And some may be correct and others not so. So whether this is another passing fad we will have to wait and see Another subject where the science journalists and some archeologists are having a lot of fun these days and have been for quite some time is in the peopling of America subject. Lots of speculation going on about that subject, too. I am almost always amused at how certain some of these archeologists speak with such certainty about subjects in which there is so little dependable data.

Comment

It's the platinum enrichment layer. It's just very diificult to explain that layer without an extraterrestrial impactor. It was just a few years ago that the Chelyabinsk meteorite injured 1500 people in Russia when it exploded in the atmosphere. From all the exploding windows. Just a few miles lower in the atmosphere and over 1 million would have died. And it was small compared to the Near Earth Onjects(NEO)being tracked these days. We just had a relatively close flyby. Only a matter of time before another big one. Catastrophism comes and goes in popularity. I remember being taken by Velokovsky and his writings decades ago. Tugunska was likely the biggest we know of in modern times. Thousands of square miles of forest completly flattened, and I'm not sure if they yet have figured if it was a meteoroid or a comet. But, regarding the one hypothesized to have triggered the Younger Dryas, it's just hard to explain that platinum layer without invoking an impactor. I thought that recent study was the virtual smoking gun for this hypothesis. Maybe it is not, but I'd be interested in hearing how the platinum layer can be explained any other way. And catastrophism in general is enjoying one hell of a revival. In a way, it's unnerving to realize life can all but be snuffed out in such a fashion. Simply an intersection in space that can actually be predicted now ages in advance if you just know the location and orbit of these NEO's. And so these days we're trying to locate every last NEO of a size big enough to wrack havoc on Earth. But we have no way at the moment of dealing with the eventuality. But you can bet we'll try if any is spotted soon enough before impact. And the NEO that just flew by was not even known until it was in our neighborhood. It's bound to happen again I imagine, since it's such a crowded solar system where these space rocks are concerned. Maybe not one that wipes out much of life, but one that would change human history.

Yeah, I got the impression the authors are on shaky ground, no pun intended. But it's very possible the event itself happened, and it must have been something to live through if it did. Likely the biggest since that distant era, though catastrophists have long speculated about other hints in recorded historical times that might have been caused by impacts.

Also of recent realization is the incredible length of oral memory for significant impacts, not life changing ones, but just big meteorite strikes. The Australian aboregenies have accurate oral memories many thousands of years old that can be linked to specific meteor craters in Australia.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Here's the one that just passed. And it was known after all, discovered 3 yeas ago. 1.9 million miles may not seem close, but it is relatively. We've actually seen these flybys a lot in the years since NEO's became something to be aware of and tracked. It's a somewhat sobering realization that it's billiard balls out there. Long odds, but can you imagine the state of mind if someday one is discovered and the data says this one is going to hit the East coast of the US in 4 years, or whatever....

Rhode Island

Comment

I'm very partial to the creator of The Daily Grail, and the articles he posts. Here, he takes a skeptical view of the proposed theory, and paper, and provides links to other skeptical views, namely from Jason Colavito's blog. Jason rakes the authors over the coals....

http://www.dailygrail.com/Hidden-His...d-Catastrophic

And, what to do if you spot an asteroid heading your way:

If an asteroid hits, don't head for the hills: Head for the basement. That's one of the takeaways from a study looking at the potential effects of impact.
          Last edited by CMD; 04-26-2017, 07:13 AM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
          X