Checking out old pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking out old pickups

Lately i've been going over my shoebox of lithic material that I picked up and tossed in the box for later examination. I came across this little item that at first glance I thought was a flake or chip. But on closer examination I believe it may be something more. What say ye all of knowledge and expertise?? Click image for larger version

Name:	Bitty.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	221810 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bitty2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	221811 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bitty3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	221812 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bitty4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	221813...Chuck

Mayhaps some kind of bird point or somesuch??
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Looks like a triangle point IMO. Nice re-find.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I agree nice little triangle shame about the tip.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Triangles. It's whats for dinner!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	221829
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	221830

Comment

LOL when I read the title I had envisioned this Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	221855
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Just off the top of my head I'd say it's a1954 Chevy truck but I can't place that hood ornament. Tell us Matt??

• sailorjoe
            sailorjoe commented
            Editing a comment
            I just did a Google search and I think Chuck is right.

• Bone2stone
            Bone2stone commented
            Editing a comment
            Could be a 1953/54 "Step Side" GMC
            My first vehicle was a 52 GMC Step side.
            Sure do wish I had it now!!!!
            Bone2stone

Hey Chuck, Nice triangle point. LOL I was looking for something like Matt posted.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hi Chuck. A late Woodland/Mississippian period triangle for sure. Specifically, I would call it a Madison.

Comment

• Scorpion68
              Scorpion68 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sailorjoe - Thanks for that id. There were a few traingular points for my area in the overstreet guide but I was having trouble matching it up. It's amazing that anyone could work something so small. Thanks again. ....Chuck

We call those birdpoints up here on the mountain even though it's not technically the correct term.

Comment

39 Ford, would love to have.
              Oh, never mind
              Nice refind Chuck!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

The uncurvate edges would indicate a Hamilton point----used on arrows---probably Late Woodland or very early Mississippian. We find those here in East Tennessee all the time.

Comment

• sailorjoe
                  sailorjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  From what I can tell, only one edge is incurvate and the other is straight. The left side on the first pic is the right side on the 2nd pic. I will comment more fully in a separate post to follow.

I was looking for a Truck like Hoss posted too!

I'd agree on Tennguys call of Hamilton.
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Regarding the type, Madison or Hamilton? Those were the two choices I considered. It looks to me that only one edge is incurvate and the other is straight. Side edges on Madisons are usually straight but can sometimes be incurvate and with Hamiltons usually incurvate but sometimes staight. Bases on either type can be straight or incurvate with Hamiltons being "usually" incurvate and Madisons being "usually" straight. The base on this point is so very slightly incurvate that it is almost straight. Both types have bases that are thinned. This point seems to be thinned on one side. This point is not very finely made and is not a good example of either type. I don't think I can say with a high degree of confidence which of the two types it is. It seems to me that it could be called either. I probably made my snap judgement call on the fact that when I was an active hunter that in my area in north central Alabama near the Tennessee River that I usually found more Madisons than Hamiltons and the base on this point is not as incurvate as the bases on the Hamiltons I had. Actually, it could be either. Both types are approximately the same time period with Hamilton having a much smaller area of distribution. Hamiltons are usually found in the general Tennessee River area and were named after sites excavated in Hamilton County, TN (Chattanooga). Madisons have a much wider distribution-practically the whole eastern USA.

Comment

• Scorpion68
                    Scorpion68 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    sailorjoe - you bring up my exact questions when I first compared Hamilton and Madison from a Tennessee perspective. Your analysis of the point is spot on the problem. With few exceptions, the Hamilton points had incurvate bases while Madisons, with few exceptions had straight sides. Maybe we can call it a Madilton : )

Nice pickup Hoss. I've got quite a few triangles in my collection.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                  X