This design keeps showing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This design keeps showing up

Has anyone who cares to comment ever found this design? I have had the first finished one for many years and then along comes one which if it had been finished would be almost a perfect match. The second was still in the shaping process. The pecking is very visible where they were making the point and rounding the top. No polishing had began.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_24530.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	239494

Name:	image_24531.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	239495

Looks like the ancient Chinese symbol yin-yang. The yin-yang symbol ☯ represents the belief that everything in the universe consists of two forces that are opposing but complementary. I'm not aware the Native Americans ever depicted the yin-yang symbols in their pictographs or stone work, but we have some knowledgable archeologists on this site who may know otherwise.
    Child of the tides

Comment

Pics are a bit blurry Hawk...try again in outdoor light for better detail and show both sides...interesting finds man...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

pictures are blurry and there is nothing to reference size? How big are they? What state were they found in? County, State? No need to give an address.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

They are about 2 in. long and 1 1/4 in. wide at the longest and widest points. The first or finished one came from NE Alabama and the second or unfinished one came from Osage Co., MO.
          Attached Files

Comment

They look natural to me, outside of being similar in shape both look like they have spent a lot of time in water.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Redhawk
              Redhawk commented
              Editing a comment
              No.

Hey Redhawk, I have a few thousand drilled beads and the holes in your stones don't look drilled. I certainly would have picked them up and taken them home. I agree with Greg: I think they are natural.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Here are some of the stones with holes in them that I have picked up. All are natural and most are limestone.

Name:	HoleinStone1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	239955Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone3.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	239956Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	239957Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone4.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	239958Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone5.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	239959Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone6.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	239960Click image for larger version

Name:	Omar a.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	239962Click image for larger version

Name:	Pup.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	239961
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Havenhunter
                Havenhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Ron, your 7th pic is a perfect example of what some folks on eBay are selling as NA paint pots.

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes Deb, The glaciers brought that one here. It's an Omar (short for omarolluk)

Yeah holes happen, I think the shape is just pure coincidence. I agree with natural, the first definatley looks water worn imo. I have seen actual cannel coal claw effigies and they all had clear indications of being made with easily discernible conical drilled holes and grinding marks. Something that size would have been made by mostly if not completely by grinding instead of pecking because forceful pecking would have easily destroyed them imo.
              Last edited by Kyflintguy; 02-03-2017, 11:39 PM.
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
              X