Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building Shadow Boxes from a Picture Frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Shadow Boxes from a Picture Frame?

I've exhausted my eyeballs trying to find a tutorial that shows how to do this. It seems like no one does it! I like the look of the display cases you all use, but I want to incorporate a wider frame into the design. The pitfalls are many, the wider frame will impede the opening and closing of the case unless I make a modification. Then there is the issue of the latch, I have several design possibilities in mind, but I figured I'd throw a post up here before I go fire up the table saw to see if anyone on here can help me shorten the learning curve or even just toss some ideas around to firm up the design.

As it stands now, I have several 17.5 x 14.5 frames that I want to use, the width of the wood framing the outside of the opening is about 1-5/8"

One approach I have considered is building a shallow box around the outside and then another, with a hardboard backing that fits inside of it. This would essentially work like the box your Monopoly board game comes in. So there would be no hinges--one slides into the other. The hangup is coming up with a way to fasten them. The two thoughts I have are to either screw them together using a brass screws and grommets or to screw fender washers onto the back of the outside box--positioned so that the fender washers overlap onto the inner box--effectively holding them together. The hangup with these methods is ease of access... you need a tool to get in and out of the case. Which, doesn't concern me too much, but I'm not sure how often I will want to get in there and fondle them hahahaha! I'm really excited about hanging them up, we have dedicated a wall to the project and I think it's going to come out awesome in the end. I just need to get my head around the right design.

Then there is the hinged option: A simple box with hardboard backing, attached with small hinges to the frame... on the hinged side I would double the legs of the box--fastening one to the frame and connect them with the hinge so that the frame width would not impede the opening of the case. I run into a wall here with a latch style. I'd prefer the latches not to be seen from the front... the only thing I can think of is a small 'half moon' style window latch, but I don't even know if they make small ones.

I hope all of this is coming across without illustrations...

The other question I have is, should I build the boxes so that their depth is slightly less than the height of the backing foam to promote a firm fit?

Has anyone else on here taken on this task?

Thanks for any help or insights.

-Dave

I think if you use picture frame glass and put enough pressure on the glass so that artifacts will not move hanging you stand a chance of the glass cracking. Cases usually use double strength glass to keep the glass from cracking. I have made some cases but I had the glass for the one I made, otherwise I could have bought them cheeper than I could have made them.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Looks2Much
      Looks2Much commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely possible, I guess I'll find out!

Dave - I build my own boxes but not quite as elaborate as what you're designing. I mostly use barn wood that has greyed or blackened over time. I start with a plank and cut what I think the overall depth of the box will be. I determine the overall length and add about 6" for waste. I use my table saw and set the blade depth to about 3/16 and notch out a space on the fresh cut side. This will be for the bottom inset. Then I rip this piece away from the overall piece. On one piece you will have fresh cut wood on top and bottom, this will be the bottom of the case so you have to make your rip to the depth of your material. My next step is to use the table saw again and on the part that I'm going to use for top, I set the saw for 3/16 and rip an inset grove into the upper part - this will hold the glass or plexiglass, which ever i'm going to use. My next step is to cut the pieces into the right lengths/angles for my overall box. I usually use plexiglass for the front and I cut it on the table saw using a Plywood/plexiglass blade (180 teeth). The plexiglass gets inserted into the slot on the top after you put 3 sides together. I use a standard rip blade for riping and groving because the kerf is the right width for the glass or plexiglass to fit into. I also finish it off using brass hardware that I get from Hobby Lobby. This might be a bit crude compared to what you're planning but it works for me. I haggled over using glass or plexiglass but opted for plexiglass because it's less costly and it is easy to work with. I can't cut glass for crap. I've made several using plexiglass and it stands up to the pressure that you'll put on it when you close it over the points. Only problem is the points will scratch the plexiglass over time when you open and close it..

Click image for larger version

Name:	case.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	241864Click image for larger version

Name:	Hardware.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	241865

This was my first box and you can see where I used window pane clips to hold the plexiglass in. I've changed to the groove since then.
    Last edited by Scorpion68; 02-23-2017, 11:29 AM. Reason: forgot to post pictures
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Looks2Much
      Looks2Much commented
      Editing a comment
      Solid info, thanks Chuck. I think I can knock one out tonight... if I have time.

Thank you

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Dave - how's about showing what you complete. I'm really curious now...

• Looks2Much
      Looks2Much commented
      Editing a comment
      You can count on it Chuck and if I like the result I'll fire off a tutorial, thanks again for your help.

Wider box use a couple of latches I make some boxes 24" x 24 " inches but I like a more rectangle shaped case . I don't have any plans I build as I go .

Comment

I figured I'd throw an update in here.

I built the first one, it turns out the foam I bought is too stiff, so I'm in the process of tracking down some memory foam. The build was pretty simple, once I have the whole thing done I'll post a pic and I'll be building more so I can put up a tutorial. I'm no Bob Villa, but I can get you through it lol.

Southfork, I considered making some like that, but I want to make something that looks a little more like a picture frame for display purposes. Your craftmanship looks to be solid, nice work.

Comment

Working...
      X