Adze and sharpening stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adze and sharpening stone

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG1328.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	243139
    Posted these before but not together...Late archaic....I believe this is the method that these hardstone tools were sharpened

Hey Mjm - Do you know what the material is for the sharpening stone? It looks to be pretty dense stuff. Putting them together like that better explains the concave indention's on the sharpening stone. Excellent pic and super nice artifacts.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I'm not certain but I've been told maybe metamorphic sandstone...Notice on the backside of the stone three of the corners have been knocked off so it would lay flat...love that stuff...mjm
      Last edited by Mainejman; 03-06-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

We find red hematite that looks like that and the N.A.'s ground it into paint pigment, we have never found a piece that size that they used.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I've also been told that this piece was used for that...Don't believe so....

Comment

Some nice polish on the bit of that one
            South Dakota

Comment

Not my largest adze but probably my best...The polish on the bit end top and bottom is unreal...mjm

Comment

Both really nice and a great picture. That does look like hematite.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Very cool. Great artifacts.

Comment

My first thought was that the stone was ground to produce pigment. It just doesn't look course enough to be used to grind a rock into shape.

Comment

• Mainejman
                      Mainejman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I believe it was for finish sanding.It only shows signs of being used on one side..Also the abrasions are slight and all centrally located on the stone...
                  Working...
                  X