• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knives??

look worked first one slate

The second one slate not first

Comment

Nope rocks! Left you some questions on your pipe and clovis care to take a stab at some answers???
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thx

Comment

Hey Howard, I agree with Hoss: They are geofacts. I have picked up some interesting limestone with holes and strange shapes: all natural.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Hhaysr56
            Hhaysr56 commented
            Editing a comment
            I know I have a nice rock garden of stones I brought home and after louping them geo facts I thought these where good because of all the scraping. And the slate one the edge had the diagonal scraping on edge only and top part of stone a lot of scraping along the edge like in shaping it but no scraping on flat surface that's what got me and I live in area where slate used for artifacts points and knives and scrapers

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ron - have you ever attempted knapping slate. Just curious how it works. If it was a really good source, I'm surprised I don't find slate points because we have so much of it around here.

The area I live in has lots of slate quarries and I find lots of it along the creek beds. It kinda soft and gets marked fairly easily. I'm not sure about it's knapping quality but I do know it has been used to make points and blades. I don't think it would hold an edge very long though.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Chuck, The slate points were often ground to shape rather than the typical knapping. I did make one using a stone to grind it on.

couple of slate knives from CT. Top two were found by my Dad the bottom one is broken a personal find. SLate knives like these are called Ulu's they were hafted in bone or wood the holes become elongated like that because of the constant back and forth motion while cutting. The botton one was not drilled but in hand you can see how it was slipping in the haft and the back and forth motion created that raised ridge. Click image for larger version

Name:	wy123.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	245303Click image for larger version

Name:	wy121.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	245302Click image for larger version

Name:	ulu.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	245304
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
          X