Obion Co Tn. Purchase... Lithic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obion Co Tn. Purchase... Lithic?

I just got this one in the mail today. I was drawn to the Lithic so I couldn't resist. I know the usual lithics in that area are FP, Dover, Jasper etc... But I'm wondering if anyone has seen this stuff before . it has hues of yellow, blue and red under the patina but I'm just not confident its HCC... But maybe it is? Any ideas? Also the seller called it Waubesa. Any opinions on type are welcome also... Thanks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170403_185112-1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	246414Click image for larger version

Name:	20170403_185022-1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	246415Click image for larger version

Name:	20170403_185012-1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	246416
    Last edited by Kyflintguy; 04-03-2017, 06:48 PM.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

I uploaded the pics fullsize so they aren't grainy...
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hey Josh, What I can say with certainty is that it is a beautiful blade. Thanks for the pictures.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

The only time I've seen that color is when I was taken by a Photoshop pro. ☹️
        I'm well aware your experience far exceeds mine & yours is the real deal.
        Child of the tides

Comment

• Kyflintguy
          Kyflintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Ive ran into the photoshop trick and even the point swap trick so don't feel bad.

Sweet point! Could the lithic be Flintridge?
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Kyflintguy
          Kyflintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Not something that had crossed my mind Greg, I have in fact heard of Flintridge being present on woodland period sites in Tennessee but I don't believe this knife is. I have seen Flintridge with similar colors to what mine shows but most Flintridge is Mottled besides maybe Nethers (which can be banded I think?) and this piece has part of what appears to be a "bulls-eye" like on nodular cherts such as Hornstone... I need to do more research on other types from Tn im less familiar with like Camden. Hopefully I find something that matches but no big deal if I don't.

Well that one should be in my wheel house! I have 2 or 3 points out of very similar material. 2 local guys I rely on for info have said HCC and another calls it "Camden Chert" (colorful like HCC but more tans and purples) I'll post pics of my points and also share your point to those guys. If you feel like it belongs back home I'll pm you my address! Beautiful!

Side note: found about 60 morels so far. All black Yellows should be next week here

Comment

• Kyflintguy
          Kyflintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok I was meaning to look into Camden , just hadn't yet. Yes, lets see those of yours when you get a chance!

Originally posted by OBION View Post

Side note: found about 60 morels so far. All black Yellows should be next week here
        I managed to get out and found these this weekend, trying to learn as much as I can about em, cause they are so dang good...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170402_164912-1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	246454

But sixty is a much better haul! Im still trying to figure out were i can really find the honey holes here...
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh I agree, Bruce! A nice Merlot or Pinot Noir would go lovely.
          Josh-- how do you fix yours? Describe the areas where they grow. I get 1 or 2 popping up in my trillium garden during a wet spring. Rescued a patch of trilliums from a roadside in the Pittman Center TN (outside park) years ago and the morel spores apparently came with them.

• Kyflintguy
          Kyflintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol I hear you all but these end up deep fried with a little flour, egg wash, corn meal , salt and pepper.And then usually served with soup beans, Corn bread, fried potatoes.... My grandmother would have made a little Polk salad too. Lots of people sautee them in butter and a little garlic which may go well with a glass of red wine? They are very tasty.

• rock ON.
          rock ON. commented
          Editing a comment
          Morels are my favorite wild mushroom I love them with beer, but then again I love everything with beer, they should be popping up around here in a couple weeks sure hope its a good year for them.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's burlington, even found way out there, nice one whatever it is!
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

That is one darn cool looking lithic...really nice
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

You guys are killing me. First Josh shows up with a gorgeous blade, Obion starts yakking about Morels, Deb and Bruce start with the wine thing, then Josh posts pics of the Morels. The front of my shirt is wet from slobber or drool. I've been waiting for the rain to stop to go out hunting those "land fish" and right now the sun is shining. So guess where I'm going.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Havenhunter
              Havenhunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Good hunting! Right now the Bald eagles over the pond are squabbling over a fish & I gave up all attempts to write so I can watch them. Time to hit the beach!

Hi Josh. That is a beautiful blade for sure. I can't offer an opinion on the kind of chert but it seems like a call on the type as Waubesa is a pretty good ID. Back in the day I would have likely called it some kind of Adena but now I have more references to refer to and it looks like the pics of Waubesas that I have seen. I don't think any of my Adenas looked quite like that. There is a point I think that is called an Adena contracting stem. Both are Woodland so it likely doesn't matter too much as far as value, etc. So Waubesa it is. Yep, a dandy point.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2432.JPG Views:	1 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	246643

I cant find my pics of the point I really wanted to show you but here is a point I found in Obion County last year that also appears similar in material. Incase anyone was wondering, Obion County is rich in sites but lithic poor. All the Dover, HCC, Camden, and other cherts were brought in.

Those were some great looking morels Josh! If you find the mother load dehydrate the ones you cant eat or are broken. Then all year we put them in stews/ soups/ and rice dishes. My favorite way to use the dehydrated morels is a sauce: butter , red wine, garlic, wochestershire sauce, and dried morels rehydrated then poured over a medium rare deer filet.
              Last edited by OBION; 04-05-2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Your material looks alot like the outer portion of my point. Camden is probably what they are. I couldn't find many solid references to Camden but I know how much chert can vary in a particular type and its seems to be the right wheel house. .. Not quite as Colorful as HCC but pretty in its own right.
                Thanks for the tip on dehydrating, I had been contemplating methods of preserving them. I was split between freezing or dehydrating.... Would like to try that sauce though... Maybe I can find another mess this week...
            Working...
            X