Angled base Kirk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angled base Kirk?

I recently picked up a nice collection on NC points and there are several of these angled base points. All of these are really nice and show minimal damage and use wear except for the base. Is there a reason they were made this way or is it just bad luck to have them damaged in a similar way?

Von

Here's a few more from the same collection.

Comment

Its often the case that points/knives that were hafted and used in a similar manner are subject to show the same usage wear charactertics. Ive seen several examples of this demonstrated on various types were multiple examples had similar blade or basal wear. I think this is the case with what you show and I think its awesome when these wear traits can be identified because it helps us understand the life of those points more...
      You also run into regional variations were one small trait was adjusted and passed down in a very localized manner. Just my opinion, but those are some nice points you show, thanks for sharing them!
      Last edited by Kyflintguy; 04-05-2017, 08:50 PM.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That's interesting and makes senses to me. Thanks for the information. Looking at these points it's hard to tell because what caused it happened in ancient times. I was lucky to get this quality collection at a reasonable price.

Von
        Last edited by Von; 04-05-2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

You certainly were lucky. How many points are in the collection? Are they NC Piedmont points?
          Child of the tides

Comment

There are 52 in the collection and many are serrated and still very sharp. I was told they came from a local estate sale in or around Davidson county NC. The material is local rhyolite like most everything that's found in the local area. Several of them are the high quality black rhyolite showing flow banding. Those will cut you if your not careful.

Von

Comment

Great theory Josh I think you nailed it. I have seen square base knives with similar looks to them. ANother thing is if a point gets damaged and re sharpened and the blade become asymmetrical then it would make the base appear that it was slanted. Likewise I have seen big Genesee knives. Genesse have a square stem with a straight basal edge. The two in the bottom corners here are 5 and 1/4 " long both have the same wear on the one corner of the proximal edge. I have seen others with this same attribute. They had to have been damaged in the haft in my opinion. The similarity to other I have seen is uncanny. Imagine a knife in a haft you are cutting and the haft become loose the force you are exerting is not enough to break the blade but it could damage one corner of that stem. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00445.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	246783
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Wow! That's a nice frame!!

For the first time this month I'm actually going to get to kick some dirt tomorrow! With all the recent rain it should be a good day.

Von

Comment

Working...
                X