has anyone ever seen one like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone ever seen one like this?

I found this about 15 years ago. It's Quapaw in origin and as unique as a plane grey-ware vessel can be, I guess.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

That is a beautiful little pot. Is that a personal find from a field site, or is that a buy from another collector? In other words is the find, a buy from a dealer who said it was Quapaw. If a personal find, how did you determine it is Quapaw?

Comment

It's a personal find. It's from a known Quapaw site that was well documented a century ago. A friend of mine owns it and I have had permission to search there for years. They did some precision leveling(I know, I actually cried a little when they did) and this was the last piece I found there before they did. It was less than 16" deep, in cotton ground, and I was shocked it had never been touched by the plow. My mentor who was with me found an Old Town red Quapaw Teapot the same trip, and at the same depth, but it had been hit and slightly scattered. With a lot of sifting and much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we recovered almost all of it and were able to restore it with much effort.

Comment

Sounds like a special site! Thanks for sharing your find and feel free to share others! I had not seen one before so Im glad you showed it here. Always up for seeing the unique and unusual, so share away!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Nice find I wish I knew more about pottery.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Interesting shape. I'm not a pottery person I'm afraid.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Although an undecorated ceramic, the two necked bottle may suggest a ceremonial use, such as a wedding.
              A tea pot at the same depth - more evidence of domesticated bliss? Nice finds.
              Dec 4, 2011 - This Pin was discovered by Dan Johnson. Discover (and save!) your own Pins on Pinterest

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyflintguy View Post
                Sounds like a special site! Thanks for sharing your find and feel free to share others! I had not seen one before so Im glad you showed it here. Always up for seeing the unique and unusual, so share away!

I grew up in the eastern part of Arkansas, the son of a dirt farmer, among a family of dirt farmers. There is a several-square mile area between the St. Francis and Mississippi rivers, from about I-40 south, where you can't throw a cat without hitting a native site of some sort. One particular field I frequent literally has satellite sites on every high ridge within a 2 mile radius of the main site. Occupation varied from woodland to very late Quapaw, and I don't know enough about the pre-woodland culture to speak on it, but I imagine those peoples were here as well. I find woodland pottery by the buckets full.:-/
                Stone artifacts are much more rare, but they pop up every now and again. The ground is plowed yearly and the river does a pretty good number on it in "special" years as well, so it's always "new" to me.

Comment

That is a special find.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                  X