Wicked point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicked point?

Well I believe I have broken my ebay addiction or at least ended my binge. I'm really having better luck and getting better deals locally and I'm concentrating on finding folks that will let me search on their property.
    I saw a real nice frame that I was told was from Texas yesterday and went back and bought it this morning. I have identified most everything in it except for this wicked looking twisted, serrated point. The prior owner wrote Wacissa and El. Callico on it but when I looked up Wacissa and it really doesn't look like one? Any ideas?

After researching it I'm thinking it's a Serrated Kirk?

Von
    Last edited by Von; 04-26-2017, 01:17 PM.

The local thing sounds good, neat buy!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      looks like a kirk to me for sure,, especially being serrated

I have picked up some pretty nice points including a bunch of Kirks but none like this. I'm still not sure what it is except it's wickedly cool. I think it has just a little damage but overall it's in great shape. Do you have an opinion as to what it is?

Von

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, it just reminds me of a pinetree. Those are more from NE of there though. You may be right about serrated Kirk.

Is every thing in the frame reported as Texas? If Overstreets book is correct, that type doesn't extend into Texas, but is found in the Gulf Coastal areas, Ga/La/Fla, etc. I'm not familiar with those types, so check out the Gulf Coastal areas for type.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

When I looked up Wacissa it showed Florida and part of the gulf coast. It doesn't look anything like this point so I'm thinking it's something else? I was told by the seller that the frame was from Texas and most of the other points look right for Texas. Here's a picture of the whole frame.

Von

Comment

I think you have quite a few states mixed in there. What I can identify from the photo is Boone chert ( Okla.), Edwards chert ( Tx. ), Coastal Plains chert ( SE ), Dover chert ( TN./KY ), some material I don't know, but the types would fit Ark., possibly Mo., into southern Ill. Really hard to say from a photo, but I don't think they are all from Tx. But they all look good, with the exception of I would check real close for any recent rechipping around the stem areas on a few of those.
        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I didn't look at them with magnification. Just looking at them I didn't notice anything that stuck out to me. It I'm not an expert. I guess chert can be rechipped more easily than the rhyolite here in NC. I was planning on taking them to a local artifact show on May 6th. Which of them are you thinking look suspicious?

Von

Comment

• pkfrey
            pkfrey commented
            Editing a comment
            The gray one center left, looks like Dover chert, the long stemmed white one two points over to the right, and the small gray one, bottom center. But it could be the lighting, or just the way they were made. It's so hard to judge from a photo. Actually I'm not judging any of these, I'm just saying it appears like there may be something going on with these few pieces. You'll be able to find out at a show everything you want to know.

Looks like it could be P Wood . Hard to tell from a pic. A lot of the material found in east Tx. came from Ok. and Ark.
          Last edited by hudson; 04-26-2017, 05:14 PM.
          east Tx.

Comment

• Von
            Von commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know but petrified wood is a possibility? It has a grain kind of like wood.

Von

Wacissa is both the name of a community, and a river, in Florida. Are you sure the writing doesn't say "Wacissa Fl." and not "Wacissa El."? I should thnk it would be location info put on a point, and not the point type written on it......
          Rhode Island

Comment

• Von
            Von commented
            Editing a comment
            That helped because after looking closer I do think it's FL and there's a place called Calico FL. Thank you!

Von

Hi pkfrey,

I'll look at the closely when I get home. I bought them at a good price so it's not a disaster if they are. I'll find out on May 6th and just consider it a learning experience if I got duped.

Von

Comment

Yeah, I believe it reads "Wicissa R
            "Calico Hill"

Turns out there is a canoe launch for the Wicissa River on Calico Hill Road, town of Wicissa:

Calico is misspelled with 2 L's on the point, but it must indicate the above.

Google is once again our friend!
            Rhode Island

Comment

• Von
              Von commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks sooo much!!

It's nice to know where they came from and they're obviously not all Texas points. I'm going to have to see what the fossilized coral in that area looks like?

Von

Originally posted by pkfrey View Post
            I think you have quite a few states mixed in there. What I can identify from the photo is Boone chert ( Okla.), Edwards chert ( Tx. ), Coastal Plains chert ( SE ), Dover chert ( TN./KY ), some material I don't know, but the types would fit Ark., possibly Mo., into southern Ill. Really hard to say from a photo, but I don't think they are all from Tx. But they all look good, with the exception of I would check real close for any recent rechipping around the stem areas on a few of those.
            Thanks for this information. I looked at these points using a magnifying mask and it's really hard to tell where modern damage is. I do see exactly what your concern is about several of them. The patina varies so much on the Dover chert one that it's suspect and looks like someone may have tried to cover up their work. I think the grey one in the lower middle is rechipped but the white one is just crudely made. I have questions about several others but what I'm seeing looks more like modern damage?
            I haven't been at this that long and have stuck to artifacts that are local to the area I live in. I see now that it's easier to spot modern damage or possible rechipped areas of the local rhyolite than all these different varieties of chert. It's going to be interesting to hear what an expert has to say at the show on may 6th? No matter how it turns out I'll be using magnification when buying artifacts from now on. There's no better way to learn than screw up. I'll let you guys know how things work out.

Von

Comment

Hi Von. I agree with Paul. Those points came from a wide geographical area. There are points from cultures and times that never set foot in Texas . There are no Kirks or Pinetree points in there as someone suggested. Some of the points appear to be from types that are common or from cultures situation in the Ohio River basin and central midwest and southeast. I don't know much if anything about Texas points so there may be some endemic Texas points there. I suggest you go to the website www.projectilepoints.net and see what you can learn from there. I know several of them at a quick glance so it should not be two hard for you to ID some of the easy ones. Just a hint there appear to be two Big Sandy points. The big one in the center is totally obvious. I also agree with Paul in that they are all genuine. Good luck with your research.

Comment

• Von
                Von commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey,

Thank's for the information. I've been spending some time on projectile points but not looking at Florida. After looking this morning I'm thinking it's a resharpened Lost Lake which explains the notch being thin on one side. I bought the frame because of this point. I'm pretty sure it's authentic and if the Adena Blade is real there's the money I spent. Everything else is a bonus! I'm not sure about a couple of them especially the center bottom and center left points?

Von

• JoshinMO
                JoshinMO commented
                Editing a comment
                That was Me.

Hi Von. There are no Lost Lakes in that frame. I think I can say that with a high degree of confidence.

Comment

Okay, so what do you think this wicked looking twisted point is? I'm at a dead end trying to figure it out?

Von
                Last edited by Von; 04-27-2017, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X