Wicked point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Von, nice looking frame of points!

That's kinda the catch when you buy a frame of points with lost provenance. Yes the seller may say "theyre from Texas" but the person in Texas may have bought one in or found one from many states... So trying to establish specific types and materials becomes "best guess" work. Yes, obvious materials can help you pin down round about locations and types but never anything for sure. Like for instance the Dover point could have came from Ky, Tn, Ill etc. Pinning down lithics can be hard, even in an area you know well... And many lithics have dopplegangers from other areas of the country that can really mis lead you if your not very familiar with both. Just something to keep in mind so you don't rack your brain to hard on trying to ID all those. Its a task that would prove challenging for even a seasoned point typologist with experience with many different states.

I agree with Joe on the Wicked one, not a Lost Lake.
    Good luck with your quest!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Von
      Von commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

I was sitting here looking over my Collecting Indian Knives book by Lar Hothem and I may have the answer but it doesn't match up with what I see
      on projectile points. The book shows a Benton Blade looking very similar? The strange thing is that this is the only point in the frame that has information on it and the guy cared because he used white out and clear fingernail polish to keep the ink from soaking into the stone. It seems that this point is from Florida. The Big Sandy's, Adena Blade and Pendernales are obvious but the rest of them are a challenge. I think I may have a Gary and possibly a Pamillas. Then there's the possible Dalton Hemphill or Wheeler in the top right of the frame beside the Pendernales. No doubt it's hard to figure out but this point does have some providence.

von
      Last edited by Von; 04-28-2017, 07:35 AM.

Well I guess it could be several different points? I'm not going to spend any more time on it and just enjoy it for what it is and if I learn something at the show I'll share it. Thank you all for your comments and information.

Von
    Last edited by Von; 04-28-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

If in fact it is a Fla. Point, it could well be a Kirk Stemmed. Those serrations are very Kirk like imo. And the stemmed variation often displays a straight basal edge soo that would be my best guess.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Von
        Von commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I have been thinking from the start. I read several articles about Lost lake points and one got into what they look like after they are resharpened. It said that the shoulders can pretty much disappear and they became serrated and incurvate as they are resharpened. That's a decent description of this point. All I know for sure is I like it so here's a few more pictures. One shows the nasty twist in the blade!

Von
        Last edited by Von; 04-28-2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Couldn't tell it was Beveled in the first photos, that definatley changes thoughts on type.
    Working...
    X