Another Handaxe Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Handaxe Rebuild

I found this handaxe two weeks ago and since then I have been returning to the find spot each evening and bringing home a rucksack full of mud to sieve. The axe had a shattered & lost tip...but I have been determined to save it

The first bit to be recovered was a small piece off the side, but over the two weeks with very fine sieving and washing I managed to locate a total of five pieces to get it to a reasonable state of repair. Today I was gluing and have now started the filling process. A lot more work to be done to complete it and I am still searching for the chip off the base.

Sunny - that's absolutely phenomenal. Not many would have gone to the trouble and I have to put myself in that category. I will normally look at a piece I've found and see if the break is recent but other than a cursory look around, I keep on hunting. Super job. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Well done (again)! Great save.

Joshua
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

That's so cool, admire the dedication you have to plucking all those pieces out of the dirt and doing a restore... Nice job!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks guys...glad you enjoyed the post & pictures.
          It is only because it was a fresh break and the fact that it is Middle to Lower Palaeolithic that I went to the effort; combined with the fact that it still has a sharp edge, making even rarer.

This week I found a river rolled handaxe which had obviously been in a paleo river (not active since the ice age that transported it) and which is now a field on to top of a hill. The axe has a frost-popped area near the tip, which I guess with lots of effort I might be able to find. But the axe was heavily rolled in the paleo river and even if I did find the missing part it would not be a great artefact. So that one is staying 'as-found'

I will post some more photos as I work through the project

Comment

That is a lot of work but it is paying off handsomely
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
            X