Aztec Bifaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aztec Bifaces

I recently accepted a different role in my company, and will be moving the family to Hong Kong in 2017. So this weekend I started the process of cleaning up my office and organizing some rocks prior to the putting them into storage.

I found this National Geographic issue, and had a couple of my Aztec bifaces in a drawer, so here's a picture & a post...

I've got a few more packed away somewhere, but this gives a decent example of size and general build. They date to the same age as Ramey Knives in Illinois, the big Caddoan bifaces from Spiro and other sites, and the famous Duck River Cache from Tennessee. Although there is no evidence of direct contact between groups in Central Mexico and the Mississippi River Valley, nor do I believe there was actual direct exchange, there are some very similar traits that point to indirect contact. (These blades, earspools, shell gorgets, bead styles, discoidals, examples of hairstyles found on pottery/pipes, types & style of mounds, etc.)

The link from Pete Bostrom's site provides more info that I can about the Aztec blades.

http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-...facespage1.htm

Attached Files
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Those are Awesome! I was watching a show recently were they had discovered a ceremonial alter at the bottom of what was once a much dryer sinote( not sure on the spelling of that word). There were blades and sacrificial items laying around like they had just left. Another interesting show I watched showed the massive blades found within a secret compartment on the steps of a Mayan pyramid. Very amazing history down there... Im wondering do those blades show signs of usage on a normal basis or were they reserved for ceremonial activities only?
    Thanks for sharing this interesting post!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kyflintguy
      Kyflintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, I read the link after asking the question and it gave the answer I was looking for... Exclusively ceremonial.

Agree with Josh, they're awesome. The darker of the three appears to have a really sharp point still? ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks Joshua, Those are some great looking Aztek Blades.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion68 View Post
        Agree with Josh, they're awesome. The darker of the three appears to have a really sharp point still? ...Chuck
        The darker one has a small flea bite on the tip, and some damage on the base as well.

That style of needle tip is rather distinct. Here is a set of blades from Etowah mounds in Georgia that have a similar style.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by clovisoid; 11-13-2016, 07:14 PM.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

The Duck River Cache blades are similar in shape on the tips too. The similarities/parrallels between Aztec and Mississipian period peoples are very astonishing. Mississipian were basically doing the same things as the Aztec minus the cities built of stone. Although the mound complexes and fort like towns with stockades are pretty amazing feats of engineering...
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
          X