Check this out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check this out?

I ran accross this at a Antique Mall. It's pretty cool looking but I didn't buy it. They were pretty proud of it and I don't think it was worth a roll of the dice. It looks like marble to me?

Did I miss out?

Von
    Last edited by Von; 03-14-2017, 07:01 PM.

That's interesting, look's nice.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I've looked at all kinds of effigies and not found a picture of one that looks like it. I suspect it's from Mexico or farther south?

Von

Comment

Aztec mimic perhaps.
        Child of the tides

Comment

I don't know but I've about worn my I phone out looking for something that resembles it.

Von

Comment

Von - are you sure it's marble? It looks more like soap stone to me from the picture. Interesting effigy.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I think Chuck is right it looks like soapstone. I have seen greenish looking soapstone another stone easy to carve is serpintine but that is darker green. Looks to me like someone a modern piece. Good that you passed on that .
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I guess it could be soap stone? I didn't check to see how hard the material was. I seemed to be about the same weight as marble and had a similar polished finish.I passed because I too think it is a modern replica or tourist piece.

This particular Antique Mall is kind of high end and not really my style. The prices are up there but every now and then I find a deal! I will say that most of the stuff there is old and not old looking new stuff. I really like the dusty run down looking places because I have better luck finding the kind of stuff I'm interested in. I've found some nice artifacts on the floor or stuffed in a corner covered in dust. I also find good deals on silver coins sometimes at or below melt value.

Von

Comment

I think the material is onyx, very soft, but does have weight to it. It's a modern replica of a Mayan or Aztec chieftain. The head dress and rounded nose are typical of Mayan and Aztec sculptures. Probably used for a bookend, which is cool to have and use. But it's not ancient.
                  http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• bonedigger
                    bonedigger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I agree When I was younger in Texas you could buy onyx from Mexico all day long especially chess sets

Thank you for the reply and information. It's nice to learn a little about stuff like this.

Nice web site.

Von
                  Last edited by Von; 03-15-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X