Burlington, Heat Treated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burlington, Heat Treated

Heat Treated Burlington, one of My Favorite's. Personal Found Wheepers.

Material was White before Heat.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

I don't know much about Burlington but it's pretty and glossy!!!

Comment

Hey Josh, I like the white one with red dots... Sweet  :crazy:  :laugh:
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote:

Hey Josh, I like the white one with red dots... Sweet  :crazy:  :laugh:
        Yeah! There is no way that's Burlington!  :woohoo:
        Love Burlington too, have found pieces that are nearly a hot pink.
        Bet RMartin has got some good examples!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Bolen Bevel 1 wrote:

I don't know much about Burlington but it's pretty and glossy!!!
            Great thread Josh. BB1, heat treating Burlington will make Burlington glossy. Of course the degree of it depends on the raw material. It also will add a degree of color also depending on the material. I am sure there are other variable such as temp and length of exposure of it. Here is a favorite piece of heat treated Burlington.

Table Rock points found around here are typically heat treated. Here are a couple,

Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Yesterday I Found One The Ancients left.

Comment

curious...how did you know it was white before it was heat treated?

Comment

How can you tell the difference between flint ridge and burlington heat treated?

Comment

Because its Pink, Our Heat Treated Material.
                  Not sure I can, Anybody? :dunno:
                  I just never handle flint ridge.

Comment

wilbrun wrote:

curious...how did you know it was white before it was heat treated?
                      That is a legitimate question. Here in Illinois (and Missouri) the primary material was Burlington which is white in its natural state. Sometime in the middle to late archaic, NA found out cooking it not only changed its color but made it much easier to work. I have seen modern day knappers bury white Burlington and cook it at a pretty controlled temperature for a few days. When it was brought to light again, it was pinkish to red. The color depends on the Temperature, the length of heating time and the material itself.
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Here's a heat treated point from central Illinois.

Comment

Comment

Wow TT thats a neat one.

Comment

That is a legitimate question. Here in Illinois (and Missouri) the primary material was Burlington which is white in its natural state. Sometime in the middle to late archaic, NA found out cooking it not only changed its color but made it much easier to work. I have seen modern day knappers bury white Burlington and cook it at a pretty controlled temperature for a few days. When it was brought to light again, it was pinkish to red. The color depends on the Temperature, the length of heating time and the material itself.
                            Am I right to assume that Burlington heat treated turns red or shade of red like pink. Is it only those shades?
                            So the enclosed one is not Burlington heat treated to your knowledge

Does heat treating it impart a waxy look compared to when it was white?

Comment

Yes,,, and No.
                              The point you have pictured was identified as possibly made out of Jasper, and Probably meant in its natural/uncooked form. Like Burlington it can have a nice glossy/waxy look without heat treating though heat treating is known to add those traits also. Burlington travels a way but doubt Ontario. I have a creek stained heat treated burlington point that isnt pink anymore though, its about same color as that point.

Comment

Working...
                              X