Typical Lithic Material I come across

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical Lithic Material I come across

I went through my wife's flower garden or rather rock garden and picked up some lithic material I have found during my hunts here on the mountain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chert5.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	241340
    Obviously some of these are spalls and can easily be identified. The squared pieces just to the right of the big chunk were found along the creek bed.

Name:	Chert3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	241337Click image for larger version

Name:	Knox Chert.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	241339

These are a couple of the pieces that may easily be identified, particularly the light, variegated piece on the left. The dark chert just above I think might be Knox. I have found quite a bit of that down along the logging road. It's actually darker than what this pic shows, especially if it has been recently flaked.

Name:	Chert chunk2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	241341Click image for larger version

Name:	Chert Chunk3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	241342

These two pieces above were found along the creek bank below the falls.

Name:	Chert2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	241338
    TThese three pieces were found along the logging road embankment after a heavy washout. Seems the various shades of grey (light to dark) are the predominant colors in my hunting area. ...Chuck
    Attached Files
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

That's cool Chuck. I am guessing that some of our knapping friends are thinking about what they could do with your examples.

Comment

Good photos and share Chuck. Both are beautiful cherts.
      Some look like cobbles but I wonder if there isn't a vein of these somewhere close by that was utilized regularly by the folks long before us.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hey Chuck, That's some nice looking material. As Greg mentioned, It would be interesting to see the quarry where this material was taken from.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hey Ya'll - I just remembered when I was talking with the owner of the saw mill that gave me permission to hunt in his mill area, he mentioned finding a 6" blade while he was cleaning rock out of a cave-in where he was bulldozing along a cliff-side for a logging road. I didn't get to see it but he said he sold it to a local collector for $475. This guy owns hundreds of acres down the side of this mountain but I haven't asked him about hunting other areas. I'm gonna go back down there and yak with him again and see if he thinks he might have an ancient quarry up where he was dozing. Mayhaps he and I can take a walk up the mountain side and get a closer look see. I'll keep ya posted. In the meantime I'm gonna scan the cliffs in my immediate area to see if there might be a vein showing somewhere. Lord knows there's loads and loads of cliffs here. Ya'll have seen some of the terrain pics that I've posted. Yep - gonna do it. ...Chuck
          Last edited by Scorpion68; 02-16-2017, 07:49 PM. Reason: enlarged font size
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I have some rock in my area of Georgia that looks like the last three rocks in the last photo
            South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Nice looking materials Chuck! Those two flat spalls are begging to be worked lol... Ive provided an update to your "Is this Wyandotte?" thread with some suggestions from Ryan. Seems he would love to see the materials you have as part of his research. That however would be entirely in your court. Thanks for sharing!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
              X