Last few hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last few hunts

Been really busy last few weeks with work and remodeling at home. It's hard to keep my mind on work when I know I have a good chance of finding some points. I managed to squeeze in a few walks that yielded some goodies. The side notched point is from a late archaic to woodland site and I lean towards a matanzas type. The adena was surely a worked down knife made from either dover or fort payne? they are both very well made.

Very interesting pieces. Broke so are sweet. Wholes are very nice. That adena-ish blade is something else.

Comment

Way to go!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Count me as vote number 2 for the Adena. Both are excellent but I love that knife.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

All are very nice finds, that is a good few walks!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Great pieces.

Comment

Some nice points there, neat side notched points.
              South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• p kurt
                p kurt commented
                Editing a comment
                Willjo, the lil red side notched missing the tip is from a site washing in that is very small. The only pieces I have found there is graham caveish points and a couple of kirks. I don't hunt it often because it is a long walk to hunt a tiny lil area. I am the only person with permission to hunt that spot and try not to wear out my welcome.

• p kurt
                p kurt commented
                Editing a comment
                Willjo, the lil red side notched missing the tip is from a site washing in that is very small. The only pieces I have found there is graham caveish points and a couple of kirks. I don't hunt it often because it is a long walk to hunt a tiny lil area. I am the only person with permission to hunt that spot and try not to wear out my welcome.

That mottled dover/ Ft payne looks just like what I find around here (NW Tn) Glad you got out, always love your finds

Comment

• p kurt
                p kurt commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks obion, like wise. That dover /fort payne material is one of the most common materials I see. That is one reason I pay lil attention to regional point types. Just think throw in a tennis ball in Chattanooga, then throw one in around Nashville. Guess what if they stay in the channel they are on a trip to Illinois . That is why i see so much dover. I am above there but down stream.

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting fact Kurt never thought of it that way...

Those are pretty cool finds Kurt, I like that Dover Adena! Thanks for sharing!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Boy, you did well!
                South Dakota

Comment

Two for the display case. Nice finds!

Comment

Some nice points you found. Congrats. Is that little side-notch a Big Sandy? Hard for me to make an ID with only the pic.

Comment

• p kurt
                      p kurt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good morning sailor, if you are referring to the lil jasper colored one I would say it could be. It is definitely early and ground heavily. The complete side notched isn't ground but basal thinned and made very well. I placed it in a late archaic or woodland time frame due to other pieces found at same spot, and lack of grinding.

• sailorjoe
                      sailorjoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, the pink point is the one I was referring to, It looks very similar to some of the Big Sandys I found in North Alabama. I had more of them in my collection than any early Archaic point type. I had 56 of them including a few B.S Contracting Base points that are not very common in my area. I still have 3 B.S. points that maybe I've shown on this forum during the past. Can't remember for sure. Regarding the other point. It looks late Archaic or early Woodland to me, also.
                  Working...
                  X