Green Chlorite rocker mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Chlorite rocker mortar

Found 1970 by my Dad, Shelton CT. next to the Farmill river. A shame that the beauty along that river has changed so much over the past 50 years. Once a pristine trout stream that would roar to life each spring with really cool rapids now down to a trickle from urban sprawl. They still stock it but all the homes built upstream that are on well water have really put a damper on the flow. I had to wash 47 years of dust off of this. I think they were making a bowl out of this quite large piece of green chlorite and accidentally punched a hole in the bottom. The curvature of the bottom is so smooth I think they still utilized this buy placing it on a larger flat rock putting grain in the bowl and rocking it back and forth perhaps with the feet and as the grain or nuts fell through that hole they would get crushed under the weight of this thing. It is perhaps 30 pounds. Just a cool cool artifact. This is a one of a kind artifact in my opinion. Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenchlorgrinder1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	496.1 KB
ID:	245423Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenchlorgrinder4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	245424Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenchlorgrinder2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	245422
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

The chisling is easy to see on the inner bowl. I highlight some of the cut marks where they were trying to fashion the outer portion of the bowl. Click image for larger version

Name:	cut marks.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	504.2 KB
ID:	245426Click image for larger version

Name:	more cut marks.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	245427
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Do you think it was an accidental punch through or could it have been done intentionally for a specific purpose? Just wondering... I know very little about hard stone household tools.
      Child of the tides

Comment

Hard to say I feel they were making a bowl and popped a hole then utilized it anyway. I could be wrong? I wish I was there when it happened. LOL No light switches, No PC's Cell Phones, Just quiet sleep, eat, hunt , gather, repeat. I took the pictures of this when it was wet to make the green pop on it.

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear you. We moved to the country in '91, still worked in the city but did a bit of homesteading on the weekends. Now some of the big box stores have found their way here, along with all the follow-alongs that ride their coat tails. Light pollution is ruining the night skies & now the county is running sewer & water lines. Soon we'll be paying for what we now get or flush for free. ☹️

That is a very interesting artifact. Thanks for sharing Hoss
        South Dakota

Comment

That's Awesome! Wow look at all those tool marks! Cool artifact, thanks for showing it!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

How is awesomist spelled?
            You might want to borrow some ones time machine to check that one out.
            That is so cooooool!!!
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
            X