Neville & Neville Variant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neville & Neville Variant

Here's the next post in my attempt to add some depth to the visual component of the Typology Section. I think I put a few people off at first with my little project, but I hope my intentions are becoming clearer. My intentions were and are only to help... not to disrespect, not to change anything just to make a great thing (the typology section) even better. I am enthusiastic about the hobby... I have only been actively hunting for points since September... so yeah, I'm as green as they come. But thanks to many of you and your posts, my learning curve has been made a lot shorter and I have been able to put together what I think is a pretty solid 6 month collection. I think adding numerous examples to the Typology Section will only help other new hunters hone their eye and it will be really cool to look at. If enough people participate, AH.com could have the best gallery of projectile point examples around. Hopefully you guys can see where I'm coming from here, this could be a great thing, but we're going to need your help.

Now that I’ve squared that away…
    Let's move to Neville Points next. I’ve always really liked Nevilles, especially the ones showing the slight bifurcation. Maybe I like them so much because I have only been lucky enough to find one…

So please post your Nevilles and Variants. Don’t get caught up in trying to show perfection, the aim is to collect as many examples as possible. Do your best to get the best shot you can, use a contrasting background color with a coin or ruler to show scale. We’d love it if you would add a short list of stats to accompany the photo showing general location of the find, lithic, size and any other pertinent or interesting information.

See the sample below…
    Neville
    Material: Rhyolite (I think)
    Size: 2" x 7/8"
    Found: SE Mass
    Additional Info: This point shows use wear or resharpening on the right side of the blade, maybe this Neville was used as a knife?

Now let's see what you got!

Thanks for wanting to contribute to the typology/info section here. I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about (putting people off) though but maybe i missed something. Anyway good post and artifact!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Quartzite Neville points Personal finds from Litchfield County CT. Found while digging I assume due to size and shape the same person made these. Click image for larger version  Name:	nev3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	161.7 KB ID:	247094
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

OK, well since you wanted to see......Neville & Neville Variant

Click image for larger version

Name:	green neville c.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	247109Click image for larger version

Name:	archaics c.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	247108

Comment

Here is my favorite Neville Variant. Quartzite. The difference is Neville Variants have rounded off bases, rather then squared off, or squared off with a slight bifurcation, as Neville's proper do. Neville Variant are also a bit younger......
          Last edited by CMD; 04-11-2017, 10:09 AM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
            -=METACOM=- commented
            Editing a comment
            If that's a personal find that's a hell of a good day.

Here is an unusual rhyolite Neville from RI, with a slight bifurcated stem.....

Rhode Island

Comment

Neville from Kingston Massachusetts... Found this in a pile of sand, i was was amazed to find it...it has the bifurcated base...
            Last edited by TSUMS; 04-11-2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Comment

Two Neville Points Both Found in a plowed field bordering a river South east Massachusetts. I couldn't believe my luck.
                The first one is made of some type of Chert Material I believe, but I am unsure.
                The second is Quartzite with tip damage. and heavily patinaed as I found it along the rivers edge.
                Last edited by Pointhead; 04-12-2017, 08:17 AM.
                Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

Nice thread on the Neville points
                  South Dakota

Comment

Here's what I managed to find, wish I had better pics of the rhyolite points.

Comment

• Looks2Much
                      Looks2Much commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very nice!
                  Working...
                  X