An old frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An old frame

I was getting a few frames out and handling a few of my pieces and thought I would share one. I have posted a few of these pieces in the past in various topics. The dove in the center is four and a quarter inches long for a comparison. I put this frame of points together nearly ten years ago. Lots of good memories sitting on that felt.

This is a gorgeous frame. Not only for the beautiful points but for it's simplicity too.
    And as always, this is the best way to see the finds. BIG and BOLD. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27044.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	247848
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• p kurt
      p kurt commented
      Editing a comment
      Bruce, when I first arranged this frame I had smaller points between each of the larger ones. It just seemed like too much going on so I simplified it. Thanks for blowing it up for me. Lots of my other frames are packed full just simply cause of the cost of the frames.

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I wholeheartedly agree with filling the frames to save money.
      But I really appreciate what you did with this one.

Agree with Bruce. It's a small, tastefully arranged case that speaks volumes about the types & quality of points you've found over the years.
    Child of the tides

Comment

Beauty of a frame Kurt. Are those all Illinois points?
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• p kurt
        p kurt commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes this paticular frame is all Illinois finds.

Beautiful display!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Awesome Frame Kurt, reminds Me of a Clock but really nice Points!
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• p kurt
          p kurt commented
          Editing a comment
          Josh I hadn't ever thought of the clock thing but now that you mentioned it I do. Lol.

Really interesting display. The shape of the frame combined with the felt color and awesome points really stand out.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hi Kurt. Thanks for showing us these points. They are all real dandies for sure. Are these all personal finds from your area? Besides the point in the center which you have already IDed could you give us the type names of those you feel confident with and then maybe a best guess on those you are not sure of. Because of the size, point quality and excellent photography these points make good subjects for a discussion of typography particularly for ones that may be found outside the area where they are normally considered to exist. I am particularly interested in the two lanceolate points on the left side of the frame. I have my own initial ideas but because they are yours and you have handled them I would like to hear your opinion before I weigh in. I would assume that you already had those typed, if they were all able to be typed. And as you know some of the most beautiful and well made points can be almost impossible to name.Thanks in advance for giving this some thought.

Comment

• p kurt
            p kurt commented
            Editing a comment
            I posted some info sailor with pics.

• p kurt
            p kurt commented
            Editing a comment
            I left out your question, sorry bout that. Yes I found all these locally. The point type although not rare to find but have found only one other in Illinois is the big slough. The harpeth would be the next to least found type for me. They are not rare just not as common as some other types I find. Most of the harpeths I have found are made of Dover but not all.

Now that is on legit beautiful point display!

Comment

Wow beauties man thanks for sharing the picture.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Here is one of my best harpeth rivers made from dover chert, the other leaf shaped point I firmly believe is a cresap adena.

Comment

The first stemmed knife although looks damaged on tip in pic was made with a rounded tip. It has kiler edge work and I have tossed up harpeth but it is thinner than most and have tossed cresap up too. Not sure what it is for sure. The two toned corner notched I believe is a big slough, and the darkest point with recent tip damage is a buck creek.

Comment

Two adena culture pieces, a clipped wing lostlake, and a large dovetail.

Comment

Very nice indeed
                    South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                    X