Bigger isn't always better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger isn't always better!

I think the general consensus is, the larger the artifact, the better it is, and of course would command a premium in the market. But in terms of uniqueness and rarity, Bigger is not always Better! For example, check this little guy out. The smallest Iroquois ( Seneca ) maskette I have ever seen. A typical maskette will be around an inch, this one is 3/8", but has finer artistic detail than the larger ones. Maskettes are known to be carved from shell, bone, or antler beginning about 1525. Later, between 1640 - 1700, the Natives were introduced to catlinite, and this became the stone of choice. The Indian name for these was " Mesingwe ", short for Meesinghawleekum, Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC06665.JPG Views:	1 Size:	163.7 KB ID:	247897
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC06667.JPG Views:	1 Size:	184.8 KB ID:	247898

which means " Living Face in Stone ", or " Guardian Spirit Face ". These are charms and good luck items either worn as a pendant, or carried in a pouch, and sometimes also known as Hunters Charms. For relative size, one photo is on my fingertip, the other is a toothpick in the hole. It had to take so much patience to carve one of these and drill it with a very small cylindrical brass or iron drill. This one is from the Nelson farm, Townly-Read Site, Burrell Creek, Ontario Co., N.Y. I wouldn't trade this for a 5" Clovis!! ( Sorry about the blurry photo, I couldn't get any closer and still get a clear pic)
    Last edited by pkfrey; 04-21-2017, 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling, more info
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

I know of someone who found one like that in virginia on a riverbank..

Comment

Beautiful piece. Can't be easy working a piece that tiny....
      Rhode Island

Comment

That'd be an interesting find... look down and see that thing staring at you.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the blurry first picture Paul, the second one shows great detail.
          Is this a personal find of yours? I wonder because I would like to hear how it was found.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• pkfrey
            pkfrey commented
            Editing a comment
            No, not a personal find. It was found by Harry Schoff in the 1940s. His collection was sold in1968, and this piece, and many others were then obtained by Newton Farwell. There would be to much information to type here, but I have had the true pleasure of selling the Mr. farwell collection, which came with Schoffs catalog, Farwells, and Jack Phillips catalog. There were 11 of these catlinite maskettes in the catalog. I handled 5 of these. The rest were donated to the Rochester Museum. I really have a passion for these historic artifacts, and the best I have ever seen is the antler Sept, Morn Figurine. This piece even has the fingers carved in detail.

I like this piece, especially since I'm also a miniaturist who works in 1/12, 1/24, 1/48, & 1/144 inch scales & can so appreciate the facial details.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Here's a few Iroquoin effigy pieces, in miniature, and yes it had to take very steady hands, a vivid imagination, and artistic ability. The bear head is broken off the rim of a pie. That has canal coal eyes, and they even created a tongue sticking out. The 2nd is a Pa. pipestone maskette with 3 fishes carved on the back. The 3rd. is the best. A simply wonderful example of an antler Sept. Morn Figure. And another catlinite maskette, normal size. These are in a specialty category of artifacts, not everyone collects these. I like them because they had a very personal attachment to the Indian who carved them, and I really appreciate the effort and time it took to carve these miniature pieces. Each one is sited, and has it's own story with the provenance. I thought I would share, it's a little break from all the arrowheads!! Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06679.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	248121Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06675.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	248122Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06677.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	248123Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06676.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	248124Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06678.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	248125

Comment

Paul thank you for sharing these. They are a fantastic distraction from broken rocks.
              Seriously though, these are a masterpiece of art.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I think what's interesting is trying to understand what the Indian was trying to accomplish and what did all of this mean to the artist. We make educated guesses, but the images and incised lines told a story, and each image was created through the imagination of the NA. And there's always room for conversation and debate. Were the lines under the eye, on the pipestone maskette, tears running down, or facial tattoos? And what did the fish represent? Why incise three fish on the back of a maskette? You'll notice on this one, the hole made for cordage in order to wear this piece would make the maskette hang upside down when worn. Was this intentional so when the piece was held up, it stared directly at the wearer? Odd questions, but there was a reason why these amulets and effigies were made in a certain way and they exhibit such an artistic quality.

Comment

Interesting miniature artifact Paul, and very nice assemblage of Iroquioan carved artifacts. Historic and contact era artifacts and well that period history as a whole is really fascinating to me. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insight, its always very educational!
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Those are some neat artifacts Paul
                    South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                    X