Dundee blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dundee blade

Put in a few days of walking this weekend and found what I believe is a lerma round base. It's about five and eighth inches long and made from what appears to be mounds creek chert. The material wasn't exactly flat and the napper worked with it and made a super well made blade. It is beveled and lightly ground around the base. It has some good serrations and a super tip. I have only found a few pieces this size and made this well. It's not your typical flat piece but the maker made a fine knife and I am happy to be the temporary owner of this beauty!!!

That's a neat one, Character and big.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

That is quite the find and a beautiful piece. Nice transitional find.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I can only dream...😕
        Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          You are not the only one Deb.

I like the way you put it Paul. "temporary owner"
        Bravo on the find my friend it is a real beauty.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Wow!

Congratulations that is a super nice artifact!

Von

Comment

Man that is one cool big piece. I wonder if they hafted blades like that or just had leather wrappings? great find man

Comment

• p kurt
              p kurt commented
              Editing a comment
              I wonder the same thing. I believe they were done both ways. Wether this piece was wrapped or hafted in a handle you can tell right where the hafting ended, about a third of the way from the base.

Illinois find Kurt? That is a great specimen...
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Super find Kurt! I was thinking a wrapped handle myself. That flaking looks old if you ask me. It has been suggested that the Lerma type is a Transitional Paleo - Early Archaic period tool... Thanks for sharing!
              Last edited by Kyflintguy; 04-24-2017, 04:58 PM.
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• p kurt
                p kurt commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree Josh the flaking looks old. When I picked it up I was thinking paleo flake knife but after looking at it for a few moments it was bifaced. The bevel first got me then to thinking cobbs but I quickly ruled it out and settled on lerma. I have found some paleo points in this area before, there must be a paleo camp nearby. It's not a highly productive area but when it does it's usely very old. Many of dry runs between finds and a time or two I have thought I ain't going back to that area for awhile but I seem to find myself going and hoping for the oldies. It pays off usely about once a year.

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey if you can find stuff like that then it makes those dry runs worth it. Who knows maybe one day it will yield a a once in a lifetime caliber fluted Paleo blade? Or did you already get "dealt that card"? Lol. Maybe two once in a lifetime finds... That would be good.

Very cool.

I also liked the "temporary owner" moniker. These things will obviously outlast us all.

Comment

That is a very unique blade. The curve gives it character.
                South Dakota

Comment

• p kurt
                  p kurt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gary it surely isn't your typical point but that is rather large flake of mounds creek chert. I am sure the maker was pleased to get a workable piece that size and made the best of it. The actual working blade section is as straight as can be. I haven't found many pieces over five inches and I am tickled with it! I will take the curve any day. Obion inquired about wrapped or hafted and after handling this piece quite a bit I have convinced myself that it was wrapped and a hand held knife. It is still as sharp as any steak knife I own.

I pm you Kurt.
                South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                X