Classification Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classification Systems

I just posted this info in Hoss's Brewerton thread, where we got to talking the difficulties of point typology. I thought this short bit of "logic essay" goes to the heart of the matter. It was included in Wm. Fowler's original 1976 New England point typology. I thought it might be worthwhile posting it seperately. This is what I meant when I suggested in the other thread that typologies are always artificial constructs in part.

Rhode Island

Those are sobering thoughts Charlie.
    (Good to see you posting again, btw) 
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I want to reply to this but I got to let my mind filter this first, lol get back to this later 
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

painshill wrote:

Thank you so much, Roger. I really have missed posting here and sharing artifacts and ideas with you and all my other friends here. I can't get back "full time" until I get either a laptop or tablet. Getting old is a challage at the moment as I developed a disease of the tendons in my back making working at a desktop tough. Worse, had to give up surface hunting!
        Ouch Not complaining though. Far worse suffering in the world for any "poor me" attitude. Glad to see I can still post a bit, so long as I don't stay here too long. After the holidays will probably get a laptop AND a tablet.
        To all my friends, you know who you are, I've missed you, feels a little odd trying to get back into the swing of things here.
        Sorry if I missed any of your great finds and threads. Wasn't by choice.
        Have a great weekend friends :cheer:
        Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie:
          I really like the article on typing points!  Like in other scientific classification systems, you probably have the "lumpers" and "splitters', ie those who want to include many point variations in one group, vs. those who want to separate out small variations in points to many different types. 
          Have you ever tried one of those little "litter grabbers" to pick up surface points without bending over?  I sent one to my former major professor/arrow head hunter for his retirement.  Thanks!
          D
          In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. -John Muir

Comment

Dallred wrote:

Charlie:
            I really like the article on typing points!  Like in other scientific classification systems, you probably have the "lumpers" and "splitters', ie those who want to include many point variations in one group, vs. those who want to separate out small variations in points to many different types. 
            Have you ever tried one of those little "litter grabbers" to pick up surface points without bending over?  I sent one to my former major professor/arrow head hunter for his retirement.  Thanks!
            D
              Thank you! I'll have to give the "litter grabber" a whirl sometime. Or just walk beside my wife and let her do all the lookin :laugh:
            Rhode Island

Comment

Interesting article Charlie and a great thread for thought. I too, will have to think on this one for a while. One problem I see is that anybody can publish something and call out any types they want. Greg Perino was as good as it gets but his works were flawed also IMO. His second and third books relied on other collectors to supply information. Add that to regional differences and it really becomes chaos. I have always been a lumper and will continue to be so. I am also glad to see you back here my friend, you were missed.
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

You know Ray, you said something that strikes true to me , lol I guess i am a "lumper " too.
                As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                NW Arkansas

Comment

[QUOTE]CMD wrote:

Originally posted by painshill post=61919
                    Thank you so much, Roger. I really have missed posting here and sharing artifacts and ideas with you and all my other friends here. I can't get back "full time" until I get either a laptop or tablet. Getting old is a challage at the moment as I developed a disease of the tendons in my back making working at a desktop tough. Worse, had to give up surface hunting!
                  Ouch Not complaining though. Far worse suffering in the world for any "poor me" attitude. Glad to see I can still post a bit, so long as I don't stay here too long. After the holidays will probably get a laptop AND a tablet.
                  To all my friends, you know who you are, I've missed you, feels a little odd trying to get back into the swing of things here.
                    Dang, I just posted a reply to this in Hoss's thread!
                  Agree with all, good to have you back and glad you maintain that positive attitude. If you can't walk the fields in search of artifacts (which I hope is not long term), it's good to have you back as one of our resident gurus, who post the types of thought provoking threads I've come to enjoy and look forward to.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

[QUOTE]gregszybala wrote:

[quote=CMD post=61924]
                    Agree with all, good to have you back and glad you maintain that positive attitude. If you can't walk the fields in search of artifacts (which I hope is not long term), it's good to have you back as one of our resident gurus, who post the types of thought provoking threads I've come to enjoy and look forward to.
                    That's very kind of you, Greg. The feeling is mutual. And thanks to everyone on my favorite artifact forum. If I do go missing for spells, it's only temporary. Happy Hunting!
                    Rhode Island

Comment

[QUOTE]gregszybala wrote:

[quote=CMD post=61924]
                      X 2 could not have said it better
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks for the post Charlie.  It raises some questions in my mind.  I'm relatively new to
                        the hobby,  and even less informed on types etc.  What I have trouble understanding,  is why so many
                        different types,  and who made them?  Was there a different tribe in a different time for every type
                        out there,  or did some tribes make different types?  With the little I know of human nature,  people
                        are always trying new and different things for various reasons.  I'm guessing a certain person,  may
                        have made several different types during his lifetime.  So, for example,  if one were to take a Jacks
                        Reef Corner Notched point,  (location,  midwestern to Eastern States) Late Woodland period,  does
                        anyone know who made these points?  Is there a certain tribe associated with them?  It seems conceivable to me,  that a person may have made a Jacks Reef one day,  and the next day tried something different and made a Gibson,  and then made a Grand the next.  It seems like a difficult task to try and make everyone the same way.  I would think the flake that came off would kind of dictate how the finished point may look.  Guess I may be asking too much,  but just not sure why some bases are convex, some are straight, and some are concave,  and that is just the tip of the iceberg. 
                        I'm sure some of these questions are impossible to answer,  but they do cross my mind. 
                        Gary
                        South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                        X