X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tepee still standing!

Tepee still standing!
    Posted by [chase]

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2011 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20110928_6.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	228358
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20110928_4.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	228359

I did not expect but what a find!

Posted by [greywolf22]
    Aspin do not look real old, so it may be a recent build.
    Jack

Posted by [chase]
    Jack, this is the real Deal I have found them in other areas. I thought the same. but I looked at some signs that confirmed that this is real.

Posted by [cgode]
    what do you mean by real chase? built by Native Americans?.....how could they be that old, the trees aren't any older than like 50 years judging by their diameter?????.......I'm confused, am I missing something?????
    ps......good to see ya around chase, we haven't "chatted" in a while!

Posted by [chase]
    cgode wrote:
    what do you mean by real chase? built by Native Americans?.....how could they be that old, the trees aren't any older than like 50 years judging by their diameter?????.......I'm confused, am I missing something?????
    ps......good to see ya around chase, we haven't "chatted" in a while! [/q

this is real I looked at it and WOW old trees with no cuts

Posted by [chase]
    cgode wrote:
    ps......good to see ya around chase, we haven't "chatted" in a while!

and this
    Chris, I have seen them this is the real deal! I looked at poles and it is correct it is from around crc... 1850'..... but is still a nice find

Posted by [Hoss ]
    looks like a wikiup. If that is Indiana it is pretty far east for that type of shelter. What state did you find it in?

Posted by [gregszybala]
    Not likely in Indiana, environment wouldn't allow the wood to last that long. Maybe an old deer blind?

Posted by [Paleolution]
    This is in Colorado folks. It's the real deal, there are still a lot of wikiups still standing in our state. Those aspens probably weren't there at the time it was built. The diameter of the living trees does not determine the age of the ancient poles. Aspens are the fastest moving trees in North America, my guess is at the time of its use there weren't any aspens around it. Sweet find Milan, it was nice to see those photos in person, along with your other finds from this year.

Posted by [chase]
    Thanks Tyson, this is in Colorado it is just north of Salida Co. off the Arkansas river valley. The climate is dry, it is in a very remote area and hard to get to.

Posted by [cgode]
    Very interesting, Thanks Chase for posting this.....I never would have guessed.

Posted by [CMD ]
    That's pretty amazing, if not for the aspen, it's like they walked away last week. Great find, Chase!

Posted by [gregszybala]
    Cool Chase, you folks have an interesting environment up there.

Posted by [chase]
    gregszybala wrote:
    Cool Chase, you folks have an interesting environment up there.

The winters are long, the summers are short. We have three seasons Winter summer and mud. LOL There are some real cool things up here and the surrounding areas that have not been touched. Most of them are in remote areas. There are bow trees where you can see where they have been cut out there are tree scaffling for food storage, Eagles traps where they would get their feathers from, Game runs both wood and stone and wikieups as well as teepe's. The range of points are as old as clovis to as late as metal. I am blessed to know where some of these are. Thank you....Chase

Posted by [gregszybala]
    That has got to be fun, different and interesting locations and context. Don't find that in our environment and the plowed fields of N. Indiana.

Posted by [turkeytail]
    Must be late mississipian-historic?! Cool!
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Working...
X