Connection to the spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection to the spot

Do you ever get out to some of your favorite local honey holes and just picture a Native American campsite or village unfolding before your eyes as you walk through the woods or the fields? Every where I go now I picture the land as it once was, and with every flake, tool or point I find I feel connected to the maker in a very special way. Today I found myself picruring a point I would find. As I perused a local hot spot I found this beautiful (Merrimack) point? Sitting face up staring back at me. And it was exactly the point I envisioned myself finding today. Very weird, moving
    , even spiritual experience for me. Even when walking by myself for points I never quite feel "alone" because I am envisioning the long houses that would've been under my feet as I walk through the fields or by the creeks where our native friends spent many a night. Even the other day in the "blizzard" I had a new appreciation for what these people could withstand with far less than we have today. Sometimes I wonder if they truly had far "more" in life than we do today. Does anyone else try to envision their hunting grounds like this?
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

For me it's more a 6th sense or woman's intuition when I'm hunting. There's days I'm out but know I'll come up empty; but glad to be out in the fresh air and surrounded by nature. Other days there's what I call a niggling in my head that tells me to look in a certain spot or head in one direction versus another. Unfortunately that doesn't happen often! Lol!! Unlike hunting on land, the beach is so dynamic, it's difficult to envision the ancients walking there because where I hunt was either underwater or far inland, depending on the eras.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• Pointhead
        Pointhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I often find that there are some days when I know the returns will be low. Although I often find a tool or a piece of a point on those days. No walk is wasted that's for sure! That's the best thing about this hobby it keeps people active

Were Brothers from another Mother.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

When I was a kid my parents used to take us camping at serpent mounds provincial park on rice lake which was once the site of a village and still had burial mounds. I used to get a very spiritual feeling when I was there and I would look out across the lake and try to picture how it would have looked back in the day by ignoring the cottages and farms and just imagining pristine wilderness, this was easier to do at night and I would imagine the distant house or cottage lights I would see were the fires of other natives living around the lake. Now back to the present just yesterday I took the family to a place on lake Ontario that I had never been to before but had been looking on google earth for spots that looked good to look for sites and that were accessible and noticed a spot with a nice stretch of unexploited shoreline, and when we got there to my surprise there was a rock with a plaque on it stating that this area had been home to N.A.'s for thousands of years and that in 1995 pottery and stone tools and evidence of longhouses dating from 700AD -1400AD had been found nearby which was ironic because when we first saw the plaque from a distance before we had read it I joked to my wife that I'll bet that say's there was once a native village here. Anyway we spent an hour or so searching the eroding shoreline without any luck but the whole time I was imagining native children playing by the water, braves in canoes, and ancient villagers going about their daily business.

Comment

• Pointhead
          Pointhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Very relatable, great time spent adventuring! Gotta love history

Ever wonder what a NA thought finding an artifact that had been made in a previous era? Did they look at a Clovis blade for instance and say "Wow!" or did they think "cool, some doofus dropped this; it's mine now." Did they marvel at the knapping, aware it was made long before their time and acknowledge its aesthetics or was it just another stone tool to be picked up & used?
        Child of the tides

Comment

• Pointhead
          Pointhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats something I've absolutely thought about! You'd have to guess that they would have come across some tool or point that was made before their time. I even wonder what their trading was like locally and across my region here in Rhode Island. I'm betting they had an incredible network.

• awassamog
          awassamog commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the natives found artifacts often, especially at ideal locations used throughout prehistory. As the woodland native digs village pits, he would encounter archaic artifacts. I imagine some realized/recognized stratification and would have known fluted points to be the most ancient. Fascinating to think about this...

Oh heck ya. On some sites I have found perty much the whole stone tool kit. Mostly broke, which just means it was a working site. I let my imagination run wild.

Comment

I agree with all the above. Just finding something makes my mind race. I wonder about the hands that made it. When and what the place looked like then. The landscape is ever changing oh if I could only go back in time.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I took my niece on her first arrowhead hunt at the beginning of this past Winter. As she found her first point, and we were both looking at it in her hand, a crow flew overhead, then landed in a tree bordering the field. I love crows. They are so intelligent. Then 2 more. The crow was Cautantowwit's messenger, the Narragansett creator, associated with the direction SW. I pointed them out and accepted it as a good omen. The people who had lived here were pleased with our success. I think it's great to adopt a mythic approach to the world. No body has to believe it, but it can give special meaning to a moment, and to a life. I chose to believe it.

I knew a girl, who, together with her sister, witnessed the image of a native warrior, carrying a hatchet and running along a 17th century wall bordering their property, before fading out.

I've always been fascinated with coincidences, and have seen personally the possibility of connecting inner world with the outer world. Nobel Prize winning physicist Wolfgang Pauli, and pioneer psychoanalyst Carl Jung collaborated on the concept of synchronicity, and Jung wrote a seminal essay on the subject: Synchronicity: An Acausal Connecting Principle. I think the person, or persons who explain how synchronicity fits into a model of reality will win a Nobel Prize themselves. So I think, if nothing else, it's enjoyable to recognize the hints of a connection between inner world and outer world. Live life as a shaman.

Rhode Island

Comment

• rock ON.
              rock ON. commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't know if it's synchronicity or what you'd call it but it seems that whenever I start thinking about someone that I haven't talked to or thought about in months, within hours or at most a day or two that person will call or show up, and for some reason this has happened 3 times in the last 3 days and this is not necessarily a good thing. I hope it only comes in 3's, LOL

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, rock ON, the phone call trick is in fact a very common form of synchronicity. In fact, they are often cited as a classic example of the phenomenon. I'll tell you a good one. As a young man, I drove a coffee truck while in school. Knew what kind of coffee every customer got, every morning. From a few hundred feet away, saw a regular hurrying to get to my truck. He must have been running late. He always ordered a large black coffee. I started to get it ready for him while he was still a distance away. But, suddenly, the thought popped into my head that he only wanted a small coffee, so that's what I poured. Out of breath, he says "I'm sorry, I just want a small black this morning". "I know" says I. "How did you know that?!" says he. "I have no idea, but here ya go!" Lol. Synchronicity. All so-called psychic phenomena are in fact examples of synchronicity if one thinks about it....
          Working...
          X