Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoto Clayware -- any collectors out there..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoto Clayware -- any collectors out there..?

I recently acquired my first piece of Shoto Clayware, and I am really intrigued by this group of artifacts. I've read (and reread) the several papers by David Heath and find them excellent on the topic of the artifacts themselves, but I am still more than puzzled by the people who created these very artistic pieces (which is specifically not the topic of those papers). According to Mr Heath, this piece (and I'm hoping my photo comes through correctly) is most likely an effigy of an infant in a cradleboard. While I didn't see that without his help, it certainly seems right to me now. Any collectors out there..?

Shoto ceramic wares, which have been recovered from the Lower Columbia River region in Southwest Washington State and are commonly referred to as Shoto Clay or Lake River Ceramics. Previous research and reporting on this subject has been limited due to a lack of professionally lead excavations and the limited availability of wares from which scientific study might be made. Only a hundred or so of these have been documeented. Here is a link on David Heath article with pictures.

This paper is the first of several that have been proposed with an aim of contributing to the body of knowledge related to the subject of ceramic wares, which...

There is a Shoto culture in South Africa that has nothing to do with what you are talking about. Need to clear that up.
    Jack

Comment

Sorry, I am still very much a beginniner and I didn't know there was more than one Shoto. No, this is Shoto from the lower Columboa River region in southwest Washington State.

Comment

Nice piece Ken and if I haven't said it before, welcome to the site!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome From NW Arkansas
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

thank you both, it's good to be here!

Comment

You item does not look like Shoto, its looks like a incised stone, not clay.

Comment

maybe not the best photo, but no it is clay and happily a piece Mr Heath had seen prior to my purchase.

Comment

I have seen several of these up close in person. That's exactly what it is.

Comment

I am also fascinated by Shoto clay, or Lake River Ceramic. I saw several pieces in a museum about 4 years ago. What intrigues me is the relatively small size of all the pieces. I wonder what use the different figures had. Also, it puzzles me why people would make sculpture out of clay, yet there does not seem to be evidence of utilitarian wares such as pots, plates, pitchers cups or other items for cooking and serving food. Why? I would love to hear anyones thoughts.

Comment

I would like to bring to your attention “my latest efforts” to help share information related to research on the subject of Shoto Clay wares (Assoc.:  Lake River Ceramic Horizon).  As you know, I have assembled a fair amount of information (more than photos…) on this subject and have come to the realization that if there is to be continued research, the information I have collected must be vetted and shared so that it may be used to support the future research of others. 

South Claremorris Community Responder Group. 51 likes. SCCRG is a local group looking to raise funds to have a Defibrillator locate in the Lower James St area of Claremorris.

• See the SCCRG Photos Albums, which contain “Subject Specific” photos and information.
                      • “Like” the Shoto Clay Collaborative Research Group to receive “Page Updates and Announcements.”
                      Any participation, material support and contributions to help advance the study and research of the Lake River Ceramic Makers is welcomed …..
                      Warmest regards,
                      David Heath

Comment

Working...
                      X