New batch of polished rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New batch of polished rocks

Just finished polishing some Coastal plain chert, ground some of it into cab shapes before polishing
    South East Ga. Twin City

Thats pretty stuff! I always like getting a bag full of polished rocks as a child. Thanks for showing those!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      We carry them to arrowhead shows and sell some of them and most people can't pass by them without at least looking at them.

Hey Johnny, That sure did polish up nice. Man the variety of colors is just amazing.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      Almost as pretty as Flint ridge.

Nice color variety Johnny.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

im curious if your able to drill thru the stone? like with a good quality thin masonry bit? them maybe try putting them thru the polisher and making pendants or beads?
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

My neighbor always brought me back a bag of polished minerals from wherever they went. She knew I loved rocks. I even got a rock tumbler for my birthday one year. Didn't know you had to leave this thing on continuously for long periods of time and it was extremely loud. Had an extension cord running from our house to the outbuilding with this stupid contraption in there tumbling rocks. I was probably 10 years old at the time, and for some odd reason I put one of my best trilobite personal finds in the tumbler to polish it. Well the sand in the tumbler just eroded my fossil in to bits, and I didn't abandoned the task of polishing rocks after stage one. I think there were 3 stages but I cant remember. Is this how you polish these as well?
        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

• willjo
          willjo commented
          Editing a comment
          I polish them with a rotary tumbler for four weeks, starting with 80 grit, then 220 grit then 600 grit then aluminum oxide for hard stones.

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you do each grit for a week?

Originally posted by OnewiththewilD View Post
        im curious if your able to drill thru the stone? like with a good quality thin masonry bit? them maybe try putting them thru the polisher and making pendants or beads?
        You can drill them with a diamond drill but I haven't found the secret to deep drilling with these drills. It is easy to wire wrap the pendants without drilling
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          maybe try drilling thru halfway on one side then drilling thru the other and connecting the holes? i make alot of pendants out of shell and slate and various other softer stones and thats usually how i drill them, i know the stuff your working with is probably much harder though.

Johnny those are very nice and can see lots of people buying those off of you at the shows.
        I also have a rock tumbler but I use mine for cleaning my finds on a daily basis.
        Can you imaging the pile of stuff I would have set aside to clean if my tumbler was out of commission for three weeks?
        Last edited by 2ndoldman; 02-23-2017, 08:08 PM.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Matt I do run each grit for a week at the time
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Working...
          X