Any idea what these are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea what these are?

I found both of these in Artifact contexts. The small one came out of the ground from the Brushy Creek site I posted a whole thread around. The larger one was a surface find at a burned rock midden site about six miles away.

The are very heavy and appear ferrous but are utterly non magnetic. I am pretty sure they haven't been modified by anyone but Mother Nature, but anyone know of a reason they may have been collected about six thousand years earlier than I did?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	224647

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	224648

The one on right look's like crystal quartz, the charred variety.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• DoobieWah
      DoobieWah commented
      Editing a comment
      These are extremely similar samples. Slight differences only. One is a cone, and the other is a conical matrix.

Piece on the right looks like a brachiopod fossil. Not 100% sure though
    Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

• DoobieWah
      DoobieWah commented
      Editing a comment
      These seem to be iron based concretions with pyramidal striations. Non-magnetic though

the one on the right in the first pic looks like a petrified rabbit brain
    they bring better luck than a foot does

jk,no idea what they are other than natural

Comment

• DoobieWah
      DoobieWah commented
      Editing a comment
      Def natural. Just wonder why the only two samples I ever found were in archaeological contexts.

Neither of them looks like NA artifacts unless they were dog rocks. If they were found on a site that produces identifiable artifacts then dog rocks could be a possibility.

Comment

• DoobieWah
      DoobieWah commented
      Editing a comment
      Dog rocks? Splain please.

I agree on the call that one looks like a brachiopod fossil. But it could still be a dog rock.

Comment

• DoobieWah
      DoobieWah commented
      Editing a comment
      Dog rocks?

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      HI DW. You are likely not alone in not knowing what a dog rock is. Back in the day (probably 45 or 50 years ago) my pointy rock hunting buddy who was a lot older than me may have invented that word. One day we were hunting a field that had in Archaic and Woodland era times been the site of a village. There were flint chips and broken pot sherds everywhere. The site is in low level land and not immediately adjacent to a stream where one may find lots of river rocks. The country was unglaciated during the Pleistocene and therefore no rocks are scattered around in fields as often occurs up North. Other than flint chips and tools made from flint the only rocks we would find were ones that were artifacts such as fire rocks, mortars and pestles and nutting stones that were gathered from the nearby river, with one exception. That exception would be small stones also brought from the river that had no conceivable purpose except to throw at the village dogs. So when I said to Tom, what the heck are these small stones that we occasionally see? He replied that he thought they were dog rocks. And so dog rocks they became. I don't think you will ever find the term in professional archaeological literature but there again, I'm not a professional archeologist. So dog rocks are not geological types but are use types that in a sense could be artifacts, too. LOL Now you know the rest of the story.

• DoobieWah
      DoobieWah commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome story. Dog rocks they are then!

The one on the right looks like either a hematite concretion, or a limonite concretion. Both are iron ore compound make up, and hematite/limonite will crystalize in this striating characteristic. That one should be fairly heavy. The other I have no idea.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• DoobieWah
      DoobieWah commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not finding photos of either of those that match the pyramidal fracturing of these samples. You're definitely on the right track though.

Here's a pyrite concretion that's broken open. Most people think these are all pyritized, fossil sea urchins, and some are. But pyrite, limonite, and hematite can form naturally and look this. There's also a link to the mineral and rock store where this came from. Click image for larger version

Name:	45658.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	224685 Click image for larger version

Name:	45658de2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	224686 Click image for larger version

Name:	banner15.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	224687
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• DoobieWah
      DoobieWah commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks very much like my samples except that mine are heavily oxidized. Thanks!

Again, I've collected rocks and fossils all over the area but these are the only two examples I've ever seen and both were in archaeological contexts. Has anyone else seen these in Central Texas?

I hate to say this but the one on the right looks very much like corprolite (fossilized dinosaur poop) that I found once. And no I'm not kidding. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Try a flashlight to see if it's transparent and if light shines through.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
      X