Additional Finds on Daughter's Walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Finds on Daughter's Walk

While the daughter and I took the grandson on a walkabout yesterday, we also found a couple of interesting items.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock3.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	243173Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	243171

This item is pretty heavy for its size, not much bigger than a thumbnail. Appears to be some sort of metallic based material.

Name:	Geode.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	243174

I believe this is a geode, which are more than plentiful on the mountain.

Name:	Rock4.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	243172

And this I think could be some kind of chert. It's pretty dense and has a very thin cortex. I don't recall seeing large pieces like this around here but I have some points that appear to be made from something similar. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

I think the first piece is a small chunk of hematite or limonite. The second has geode qualities, but I think it's a quartz conglomerate with maybe some chalcedony in it. And the third is no doubt some time of chert in it's natural form.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Paul. Really appreciate your comments. Now my daughter and I are a little smarter.

Your dark stone looks like the hematite we occasionally see around here. It's pretty material.
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a bunch Deb. That's the first of it's kind that I've seen around here but now I know what to look for.

I find those also Chuck. The first two on top I mean. Never have much size...small usually about as big as a nickel but dense and heavy for the size...
    Last edited by BabaORiley; 03-06-2017, 05:23 PM.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea - After Paul and Deb put me on the right track - I looked them up on the internet and apparently they're fairly common especially when you know what to look for. Thanks
Working...
X