Stone hammer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone hammer?

I found this while trout fishing back in 1969. Spotted it in the river, and dove in after it.
    Any thoughts?

Wow what a form! Sorry I can't help but I hope someone on here can tell you something about it. I will check back here because I'm dying to know what it is myself . I'm also going to keep looking for ya.

Comment

Does it have any kind of edge on it? Or is it blunt?

Comment

Totsuwa,
        It has no edge.  The bottom is blunt and smooth.  BTW, I found this in central Ma, in the Ware River while trout fishing.

Comment

Hey Bob, Welcome to the forum. Glad you could join us.
          It doesn't appear to be an artifact or altered by the hands of man. JMHO
          If it had been crafted my ancient man you would see a pecked surface.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote:

Hey Bob, Welcome to the forum. Glad you could join us.
            It doesn't appear to be an artifact or altered by the hands of man. JMHO
            If it had been crafted my ancient man you would see a pecked surface.
              Thank you for the welcome. 
            Ron, yea, I can see your point. and that's been suggested before.  But I always wondered how did that 'hollow' appear? Could that be a naturally occurring thing?  Seeing as I found it in a fast moving river, where it may well have sat for hundreds of years, could the running water have smoothed the surface some and in the process hide some of the evidence? 
            Just my thoughts.

Comment

Hey Bob, Moving water aided by sand, pebbles, and other rocks does some unusual and interesting things to the shape of a stone. I have found dozens of stones with holes in them (all natural).
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I agree with Ron. I see no modification that would lead me to believe this is an artifact. Just how it was formed by nature is a mystery to me but stranger things have happened.
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Looks like a bannerstone preform imo.

Comment

Working...
                  X