No announcement yet.

Hopefully these prove to be artifacts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully these prove to be artifacts!

I really should mention the fact that 90% of the artifacts I believe I am finding are at least of archaic age.  My best guess would be Paleo.  Also I seem to be one of the few surface collectors from Massachusetts on this site.  Many of the artifacts I find are polished, Taking away the tell tale flaking patterns.  The Cleaver or hand axe on the right has some nice beveling to it if I do say so Myself!  Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it!  While I may be discovering holotypes, when I hear you guys say it's not an artifact, it definetly means it's not an artifact anyone would want except myself maybe?  Haha, Cant wait to start writing my book.

These are naturaly spalled rocks, not manmade. You need to educate yourself to what an artifact looks like, buy some artifact books on your area, go to museums, go to artifact shows.
    Jack

Comment

I know my pictures have been pretty terrible. With all do respect how would you rate your knowledge of artifacts of Massachusetts, I can show you a pic of someone selling what they call a plummet that looks almost exactly like the one on the left, and as you know artifacts look and feel very different when in the hand.  I have been reading some of DR. Moorehead's material lately concerning paleo artifacts of New England and the Maritime Archaic!  I have seen many closely related artifacts.

Comment

PS-I added a few more pics with better lighting, and an up close of the beveled edge.

Comment

Sadly, I agree with Jack. These are natural occuring rocks whether they come from Mass. or any other state.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I would email the pictures to your state Archaeologist if you don't believe us. Here is that information!
              Brona Simon
            State Archaeologist/SHPO
            Massachusetts Historical Commission
            220 Morrissey Boulevard
            Boston, MA 02125
            Phone: (617) 727-8470
            Fax: (617) 727-5128
            TDD: (617) 878-3889
            Email: brona.simon@sec.state.ma.us
            Or you can check out this site for further information. If your writing a book your research would start with getting to know the folks in the know in your area, Get out there and shake some hands.
            The people who buy books about this subject are right here. they are also the people who are professional Archaeologists. I would be surprised if you could find a publisher who would print over one thousand for your first printing. Professional Archaeologists are very cool people They want to know Amateurs and they will be friendly towards you. They know they can learn as much from you as you from them.

There is contact information listed here for people in your state. That second link even breaks it down to geographic districts within your state.
            Don't be surprised if they tell you the same thing you heard here. But don't give up either. Everyone starts out finding more rocks than artifacts and as time goes on and you do get that true feeling of an actual artifact in your hand you will begin to find more artifacts and less rocks!
            Good luck from a long time collector in Connecticut!
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Zachary
              What you are posting is a bunch of rocks not artifacts. If you were educated you would not be posting a bunch of rocks. By posting here you want to know what you have and by us answering your questions you are getting an education. If you keep posting here we will keep answering your questions to the best of our abilities.
              Jack

Comment

Zachary, I'm from neighboring RI and have collected in Ma and have many pieces from MA.  It's all one region where prehistoric peoples are concerned.  I'm sorry to say what Jack and others are telling you is true, those are rocks unmodified by human hands. 
                Charlie
                Rhode Island

Comment

I have a good book for you to look at if you want to see some paleo artifacts its called Paleo-Indian Artifacts. Its an identification and value guide. Google it and go buy one so you can see what the artifacts look like. I have found alot of my finds this way. Its a real good book to have. It will help you alot and dont give up you will find some. I have alot of geofacts also but I also have artifacts as well. Check out my pics on my page you will see both there. Hopefully this will help you in finding some good stuff.

Comment

I concur, geofacts......I'm in Conn. so it's all the same area....sorry.
                    Southern Connecticut

Comment

I am not sure this will help youwith what others are seeing, but I will try two give you some Visuals and explain what  differences  are.
                      Here are two Geofacts found right outside in a rock garden. They appear to have been worked but are just rocks. Plus this not material usually used in the making of artifacts

Here are two Flakes. They could be knives, but show no wear or re-tooling. This is the right material but show no signs of use.

Here are two Bi-faces. They have been worked all the way around were possibly used as knives or scrapers, but were most Likely discarded because tool reduction was becoming impossible from stepping in the flaking process 

Everyone in here wants to help and educate those that want to learn. Most everyone that weighs in on a subject, are people that have been looking and finding artifacts for a number of years. There experience will help you to understand what the differences are from a geofact to an artifact. Good luck in the future and hopefully you will be finding artifacts "A Year In The Making"
                      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                      X