GREAT!!! Creek walk in Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GREAT!!! Creek walk in Western Illinois

All were found in Western Illinois in a creek. I was very excited and pleased at what I found : ). Sorry uploaded from my phone can't get it to post correctly.

Great day for sure! Thanks for sharing!
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Dang, some killers in that pic.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

That is awesome volume for a creek hunt! That orange point on the top row (as pictured upside down) looks like something SouthFork would find in California. Keep going back to that stretch of creek for sure!

Comment

• CreekWalker84
          CreekWalker84 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya this is the first time I found something like that here

Hey Brandon, That sure was a great hunt. Nice finds all. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Sweet saves. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_18729.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	222480
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• sailorjoe
            sailorjoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Bruce, Thanks much for performing your photo enhancement tricks. This pic makes it much easier to identify what Brandon found.

• CreekWalker84
            CreekWalker84 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you

Some dandy points you found for sure. There are some really old early Archaic types that I can see. Bruce's enhancement efforts make it easier to determine what you found. That seems to be a Big Sandy in the middle on the bottom row. there are other types that I think I know but the point directly above the B.S. is one that I am most curious about. What would you call it? That is one that would be nice to see close up and on both sides and then looking directly at the bottom of the base and in lighting that would make it easier to see the form and type of flaking. It would also be helpful that when posting pics in the future that you put something beside the point so we can tell the points size. I usually suggest putting in a quarter because they are exactly 1 in. in diameter.

Comment

• CreekWalker84
            CreekWalker84 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sailorjoe I was thinking it maybe be a Thebes variety

• sailorjoe
            sailorjoe commented
            Editing a comment
            I am afraid to make a guess with what I see from the photo available. The light color and possible patina/caliche makes the flaking technique very difficult to see. It just may be that one has to have it in hand to make a good call. I never saw a Thebes, only the pictures. They are not known from my old hunting grounds. But since you have it in hand and are in "Thebes Country" that may be a good call.

• CreekWalker84
            CreekWalker84 commented
            Editing a comment
            Alright sailorjoe added some pics for you. What do you think with a closer look ?

Here's a closer look sailorjoe.

Comment

Thank you for going to the effort of providing more photos. I appreciate the courtesy: but, man, I screwed up on my post and I apologize. The point I was referring to and hoping for more detail is actually the middle point in the 2nd row of your pic. But when I was posting I was looking at the pic that Bruce had tinkered with so I referred to it as being on the top row. I need to be more careful. The point that you are showing now looks kinda like a Big Sandy to me but that isn't the one that I was really curious about. It is the one above or below (depending on the pic) it. Sorry for the mix up but I'm still curious.

Comment

• CreekWalker84
              CreekWalker84 commented
              Editing a comment
              No worries just now seeing this post. I'll take it out the case and send you a picture very soon. That one you said is a big sandy isn't so big but I agree : )

• CreekWalker84
              CreekWalker84 commented
              Editing a comment
              Posted

You must have a good eye for hunting creeks. Well done
            South Dakota

Comment

• CreekWalker84
              CreekWalker84 commented
              Editing a comment
              Been trained very well by some good country folk

Super finds!

Comment

• CreekWalker84
              CreekWalker84 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you I love this site only be hunting for two years and found over 40 artifacts on 6-7 hunts.

Here's a few closer pictures of the one you wanted to see sailorjoe

Comment

Hi Brandon. Thanks very much for taking the time to make more pics of the point I was most interested in. I was asking because of my interest in typology. And when you said you thought it could be a Thebes, I was thinking it also had some characteristics of another type I was more familiar with. As I said, I never held a Thebes or saw one except in pics and because the original group photo did not show enough for me to make even a WAG then is when I hoped I could see more. Now I have seen more I agree with your call of it being a variety of Thebes. The characters that I first saw that made me hesitant about Thebes is that compared to some of the Thebes varieties it has a relatively narrower and thinner base that is incurvate. Also many of the Thebes have a more side notched form but I understand some may be corner notched. And the corners of the base of your point looked as if they may have been struck. These factors caused me to think that perhaps you had found a Decatur. Now with the better pics I think that it is not a Decatur at all. It does somewhat resemble a Kirk C.N. when seen from the side but the beveled edge view puts it into the Thebes category. Thanks again.

Comment

• CreekWalker84
                CreekWalker84 commented
                Editing a comment
                No problem sailorjoe, thanks for the interest in the piece.
            Working...
            X