Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I Break the Dry Spell or just crack it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I Break the Dry Spell or just crack it???

Took the daughter and went hunting today. We went to the log mill area where I usually don't find anything but chert debris. A typical search area looks like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground Clutter.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	240861
    But today it was a little different

Name:	Insitu 1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	240862Click image for larger version

Name:	Insitu 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	240863

Name:	MacCorkle 1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	240864Click image for larger version

Name:	MacCorkle 2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	240865

It's kinda rough around the edges but I'm gonna go with MacCorkle. As usual I always appreciate 2nd opinions.

I also picked up a rather large flake that had a bulb. I usually leave them where I find them but I have never found one this thin so figured I'd bring it home

Name:	Flake2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	240860Click image for larger version

Name:	Flake.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	240859

Not a bad day after over 4 months of nothing but getting tired of walking. We'll see if it breaks my dry spell. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

nice finds! and man do i wish i had material like that laying around!
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jay - do you mean the artifacts or the lithic. You can't see it from that piece but it has a dark grey core inside. I'll see if I can post a follow-on pic so you can see it.

Love the thin flake! I'm so used to seeing chunky quartzite that piece is really amazing.
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Havenhunter - that's reason I brought it home. Wanted a closer look at my leisure. Unfortunately I don't collect flakes cause I just don't have the room. It'll probably wind up in the wife's flower garden or should I say rock garden. ...Chuck

Good pickup Chuck.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Coach - Any idea what the lithic is on that point??

• CoachG
      CoachG commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm guessing hornstone.

both! but to have nice knapping material laying all over the place for free would be a dream,lol.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

That's a Point, Good Hunting!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Interesting flakes, nice point
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I'd say you broke it Chuck! They can't all be complete. I bet it got you excited regardless. Thanks for sharing!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea - for sure Josh. After scanning and flipping flakes for almost an hour and to see that just lying on the surface like that - I was stoked. Still am but I already planning my next visit to another area that has proven less than desirable but haven't been there in a bit so just maybe it'll change.

Hey Chuck, That is a cool looking base on that point. Way to go man.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Congrats Chuck, that is a long dry spell.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Those are nice finds, Chuck. Congrats, say goodbye to the dry spell!
              Rhode Island

Comment

Nice find Chuck. I like them all.

Comment

Hi Chuck. I'm happy for you that your "dry spell" ran out. Regarding the type: IMO it could be a MacCorkle or on its way to being one. Because of the unfinished appearance of its edges it kinda looks like it may have been broken in the process of manufacture and then discarded.

Comment

You should build a small sifter of some sort and go through that loose material. Crazy to see so much flake debris and no hammerstones that knocked those pieces off. Looks like someone did some serious knapping in that area! Best of luck Chuck.
                    Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

• Scorpion68
                      Scorpion68 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Luke - it's kinda hard to sift in this area cause it's a logging mill. It's pretty much heavy equipment moving around in there all the time and they don't tend to stop and wait around. What I usually find appears to be washed down from up above but this stuff is all over the place so it's hard to know where to start.

Nice point Chuck. It is surprising you don't find more there with all those flakes. Looks like a neat place to hunt anyway
                    South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                    X