ID:	241205Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5234.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	241206Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5235.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	241207 Here are the scrapers I found on the same day as the points last fall. Thanks for looking.
    South Dakota

Gary - can you imagine replacing your skinning knife with one of those scrapers. I think they're neat and when they're that small, it takes a real good eye to find them. Nice finds. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• SDhunter
      SDhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck. I can't imagine starting on a buffalo hide with a scraper no bigger than your thumb nail. I do find bigger, but lots at this size.

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Chuck. A knife used for skinning hides from the critter s not one used for scrapping hides once the hide is totally separated. A scrapper is more of a fleshing tool than a real cutting tool. Really sharp tools would only result in cutting the hide.There are several steps need in preparing a hide for tanning. I have other thoughts on the subject of scrapers that go farther than this post needs.

More scrapers Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5242.JPG Views:	1 Size:	236.1 KB ID:	241212
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5243.JPG Views:	1 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	241213
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5248.JPG Views:	1 Size:	216.9 KB ID:	241214
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5249.JPG Views:	1 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	241215
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5275.JPG Views:	1 Size:	262.8 KB ID:	241216
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5276.JPG Views:	1 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	241217
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5283.JPG Views:	1 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	241219
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SDhunter; 02-15-2017, 06:35 PM.
    South Dakota

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5265.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	241221Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5268.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	241222
      South Dakota

Comment

Sorry, but some of these pics are a bit fuzzy. Now that I look at them closer.
        South Dakota

Comment

Sweet , I love scrapers. A multipurpose utilitarian tool. I bet everyone had one in their pocket! This one is very similar to the one I last posted, amazing how the same technology was used everywhere.

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

yes, this one is a little different than a lot I find which tend to be triangular. This one is square
            South Dakota

Comment

I suspect I've walked past a scraper or two & just didn't know what to look for on a beach filled with shells, rock, gravel, wood, & glass. Then again, with the honking oyster & clam shells sharp enough to cut feet, perhaps the coastal dwellers just used them. Maybe one day I'll find one.
              I did buy a Flint Ridge scraper a few years ago because I liked the colors!
              Last edited by Havenhunter; 02-16-2017, 06:31 AM.
              Child of the tides

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
                Here are the scrapers I found on the same day as the points last fall. Thanks for looking.
                Nice group of scrapers. The gray one really caught my eye because the material looks very similar to a lithic source from the region I hunt.
                What do you call this material up your way?

Name:	DakotaScraperCrp.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	241334

Comment

I actually don't know. It's the first banded type of chert I have found. I'm wondering if it didn't come in from somewhere distant. I have been trying to find out the answer.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by 11KBP View Post

Nice group of scrapers. The gray one really caught my eye because the material looks very similar to a lithic source from the region I hunt.
                    What do you call this material up your way?

Name:	DakotaScraperCrp.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	241334

Ps, what do you call yours ?
                    South Dakota

Comment

I actually don't know. It's the first banded type of chert I have found. I'm wondering if it didn't come in from somewhere distant. I have been trying to find out the answer.
                      Ps, what do you call yours ?
                      A distant source is a real possibility Gary. Considering the number of KRF artifacts found in the region we hunt (south central Nebraska) there is no reason not to expect lithics from my area to be carried back towards the KRF source.

The banded chert found down here which is very similar to your specimen is call Florence D. I’ll add an image of Florence D to this post.

Name:	FlorD_comp.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	241824

Comment

• SDhunter
                        SDhunter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That is very possible. That lithic looks right. There's no reason, if you're finding krf down there, I could find some from down your way.

Those little thumb nail scrapers are neat, we find some of those.
                      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Nice group of scrapers and great in-situ pics.

Comment

Working...
                        X