Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	241241Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5266.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	241242
    South Dakota

Comment

How big of an area is that Gary? And is this in a field or down by the water? Did it rain hard or is this in a flood plain or sandbar like area? To find that many just laying there exposed like that is amazing.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• SDhunter
        SDhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        What this place is, is an eroded bank. It was a creek that got dammed up in the 30's. When our part of the world got flooded in the late 80's and has stayed that way until now, the high water eroded out this campsite, which would have been about 6-8 feet above the original water line. This little grey area that you see is all eroded clay from the bank. The field next to it is farmed, but I have never found a signal thing up on the farm ground. I was told these farmers probably lost about 100 yards of their field, so I'm guessing the entire campsite is washed away. This particular spot was good now, because due to the clay and or alkaline soil, nothing is growing here. All the rest of the way down the creek bank is weeds now. I have found artifacts this entire length of creek, but difficult now with the vegetation. The water has gone way down now, and thats why this spot is exposed and the rest is weeds.
        I tried to dig here a little, but pure wet clay is nearly impossible. You need a sluice. That area is probably 40 yards long, and goes out about that far too now that the water is low. I can't imagine how many points are buried right there just under the surface. There almost has to be, for me to find that many surface points. This is also where I found the bola I showed awhile back. Each hard rain should produce more I would think. It is down by the water.
        I'll show another pic that could show it better.

Gary - those are some excellent photos, especially the insitus. Super finds. What kind of ground are you hunting in - looks like a field of some sort. These appear to be a bit bigger than the scrapers you posted earlier. I really like the dark material - do you know what it is? ...Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Nice material/finds.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

A different view of the site. I'm standing with my back to the bank, and looking out over the site where my Mom and niece are having lunch. You can see how far the water has receded. It was clear up to where I am standing taking the picture earlier last year. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5293.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	241301
        South Dakota

Comment

• gregszybala
          gregszybala commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Gary for the picture and explanation. That site has got to be fun to walk.

All that grey ground has been under water for the last 30 some years. So when this water went down, I guess I was the first guy to show up.
        South Dakota

Comment

Nice knives and all in one day along with the other pieces. Unbelievable day.

Comment

4th photo is wicked! Looks like a velociraptor claw! Lol
            Child of the tides

Comment

That is a great spot. Thanks for the explanation of your site. Your artifacts are excellent. That toolstone is stunning.

Comment

Epic day. Love the lithic too. Thanks for sharing
                Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Wow some really nice KRF knives there. Love the flaking on that curved one.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That material is awesome, nice points and blades
                    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Great explanation and site!! How fun

Comment

Working...
                      X