Fountain Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fountain Creek

​ I believe this is a fountain creek which is early archaic 9000 to 7000 BP. This point is not mentioned much in my NC books nor is it in what we call the piedmont cultural sequence. Hardaway, Palmer, Kirk and so on. The site name is from Virginia. I am just on the edge of its range. The deep serrations are why I'm calling it a fountain creek. Please correct me if I'm wrong since the base is not the normal look for a fountain creek. It's my favorite broke and is why I'm posting and am wondering if there are any others who have this type or any previous posts to compare to. Also thought our knappers would like the serrations knowing or not knowing how hard rhyolite is to work.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

The other side didn't go through the first try.

Comment

Not familiar with the points in your area but that looks early Archaic to me for sure and it is a dandy one. There are a few types in your area that look similar and here is where local knowledge is really helpful in making a confidant ID.

Comment

Hmm, maybe? Palmer would be a strong suggestion I would think but maybe your correct. Those serrations are wicked! Thanks for sharing it!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the response Palmer was my first thought just never seen one with such deep serrations and concave base why I'm thinking Fountain Creek. The serrations look extremely fragile to me. Thanks again I like your new avatar!

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

It's the base that makes me question Fountain Creek. A tad squirrelly. Josh may be spot on suggesting Palmer. Both types and their larger Pinetree cousins have wicked good serrations!
          Child of the tides

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Palmer would make more since for my area thanks!

Nice one, it has some serious serrations
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Wow, look at those serrations
            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
            X