Okay So It Was Grey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay So It Was Grey!

After a hard NNE blow yesterday, a hunt at low tide today seemed on tap after lunch so off we went. About a quarter mile down the beach I spotted two well formed serrations sticking up out of the sand, My heart skipped a BEAT as I dug down beneath it. Oh, what had I found?!?

Imagine my surprise when a grey plastic hippopotamus stared up at me with a surprised look on its face that matched my own. Darn it! What looked like serrations was actually its ears and eyes sticking out of the sand.

But then the Great Spirit, having enjoyed a fine guffaw at my expense, took pity on me and tossed a very water worn Guilford of some sort at my feet. Frankly, I'm not sure which one is uglier.
    Child of the tides

Nice finds
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      You're joking, right? Lol!!

Nice finds I wonder is that Henrietta Hippo or Peter Potomus famous for his Hippo hurricane hollar? [YT]3YPSY1TH-1Y[/YT]
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh Peter for sure!

I like the Guilford it's got character! Do you know the material? A nice Hippo effigy also!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

I swear it looks like it was made from local riprap, which is granite! Lol! I haven't a clue. Doesn't look like quartzite.
      My lithic finds are rather dull compared to you rolling hills & mountain gents. But hey, it's a point.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        It surely does look like granite riprap material? I really do like it! Not broken. A strange look for a guilford. Strait base?

I like finding toys like that hippo, I collect them too. My favourite is finding lil plastic indians. Good finds.

Comment

Broken or snap base. Hard to tell because it's been tumbled in the water a long time. When I first picked it up I studied it awhile before deciding it was indeed a point. But the material is a puzzle. Maybe some other coastal folks will chime in with their thoughts.
        Last edited by Havenhunter; 03-24-2017, 07:44 PM.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Awesome hippo. I've yet to find one myself ha. Nice point too.

Comment

• Havenhunter
            Havenhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I had no idea the Powhatans appreciated their beauty. 🙄

Finds though
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

You must have eyes like a hawk Deb to have been able to pick up on those tiny ears.
          If you want my opinion that point is uglier.
          Keep the hippo and send the point to me. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_26354.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	245500
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Havenhunter
            Havenhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Point well taken. 😕 The secret is trifocals.
            Last edited by Havenhunter; 03-25-2017, 03:46 AM.

Nice!

I have done my share of beach combing and never found a point. I always look for sharks teeth and bone so a point should get my attention? Until now I never considered it a place to look. My wife and I spent some time at Oak Island NC earlier this month and there was a loader on the beach near us rebuilding the dunes. I looked there and around the beach but found nothing. After reading your post I'll pay better attention when down that way.

Von

Comment

• Havenhunter
            Havenhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Von, forget the ocean front. I've only found one artifact on the OBX-- a large stone net weight that rolled right out of the surf in front of me. Fate.
            My beach finds are along the west shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The OBX barrier islands have been moving westward for eons so any encampments are far offshore now. You can try along the backside in the sounds. I know a couple of folks who brave the marshes to hunt for bottles & artifacts on Roanoke Island.
            The Nags Head Beachcombers Museum houses the collection of a woman who spent 40+ beachcombing every day & she found less than a dozen points in all that time.
            Good luck!
            Last edited by Havenhunter; 03-25-2017, 01:38 PM.
        Working...
        X