Jasper Snappers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jasper Snappers

I have not had much luck since back from Bolivia, lots of brokes and pieces. Certainly not as much luck as this big ole snapper yesterday!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0992.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	245751

I did find this nice little Jasper piece. Sorry, forgot to take a picture of it in the hand.

Name:	FullSizeRender (5).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	245752

I just broke up a new garden spot just like every arrowhead hunter should, 12+ inches deep with a furrow plow. Maybe I picked a camp site!

Name:	IMG_0972.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	245753

Anyway, glad to be home and back outside in the USA. We are all truly blessed to live here.

Good to have you back. Can I come over and look in the garden? Which one of the snappers are you calling the lucky one? That one on the bottom looks like it cant breath.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ha. Nice. I see too much green and not enough brown. Plow it all.

Comment

Wow! The snappers are out & about here in tidewater. Nasty critters but they're interesting to observe.
        Child of the tides

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          It is mating season in the south. Soon the big females will be crossing roads to look for opportune places to bury a clutch of eggs. More and more of them get run down that way. Sad if you ask me they are an important part of the ecosystem. They are pretty much bottom feeders. They only bite humans if humans mess with them.

You're right, Matt. Our millpond had snappers & they will predate the young ducklings & goslings, which distresses my grandkids. They don't yet understand nature's grand scheme.
        One year someone approached all us pond owners & asked if he could trap & market the snappers. It was a unanimous NO.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Snapping turtles are good eating. Looks like you missed a "two for one" special that good ole Ma Nature was serving up to you. LOL Now show us a pic of your point so we can figure out what type you found.

Comment

• OBION
            OBION commented
            Editing a comment
            What is your favorite way to cook the meat?

Better pics of point at bottom.

Thanks

• sailorjoe
            sailorjoe commented
            Editing a comment
            They are good in stew like Chicken stew except use turtle. The meat can also be fried. Cut off the head, remove the carapace and plastron, remove the entrails, and then remove the skin. Debone the meat and cut the larger pieces into small cubes. The meat is white and quite good. I've eaten at least two species of turtles and both were quite good.

That is a very nice job with the furrow plow. \
          Horse drawn by any chance?
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• OBION
            OBION commented
            Editing a comment
            No, drawn by Kobota!

Here are some closer pics of the Jasper piece. No grinding. Found on a site that I have found daltons to birdies on. I have found a sure enough Buck Creek on this site before, I was thinking this is a possibly one resharpened many times.

Name:	IMG_0998.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	245987Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	245988Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1001.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	245989

Comment

I need a yard like that! If you zoom in on the turtles did you notice the smile on their faces?
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I saw a snapper crossing the road yesterday that was so big everyone was afraid to hit her. She looked like she could take out an oil pan!
              Child of the tides

Comment

• sailorjoe
                sailorjoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like you are saying that if it wasn't so big that folks would purposefully not try to avoid hitting it. I despise people who run over any turtle whenever it can be safely avoided.

Happens here all the time. Snakes, turtles, squirrels, small mammals are all fair game. Some folks just don't respect the lives of creatures they've been taught they have dominion over. I don't get it either. Pathetic.
              Child of the tides

Comment

Good stuff man. I'd plow the whole yard up and just say you are reseeding the grass as an excuse.
                Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Nice little stemmed point for sure.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Nice pictures and find! Id say your right on with Buck Creek... Never ate snapper but wouldn't mind giving it a try but talk about compromising photo Lol.

Any morels popping up out your way yet? Ive got the fever already and I know you do well with them.
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
                    X