Great day at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great day at work

I was forming up a slab today and I've been seeing flint in some of the fill dirt so I walked around a bit and found nothing but when I went back to work I looked over and seen this sticking out from under a pipe. Made the rest of the day rough trying to work and look for arrowheads.

Wow. Cool way to find one. Too bad you had to cover it all up. I imagine it got hauled in with the sand.
    South Dakota

Comment

looks a little like a spoke shave in tip, nice find
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That would make my day at work. You need to find out where that sand was hauled in from.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I have worked in countless holes and excavations over the years and have never found an artifact ever...that is awesome man...good eye dude...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Good eye and good luck. I don't suggest that you do this cause I sure wouldn't go to the trouble of finding the dirt source since it was likely taken from an archeological site, unless it was a random loss by an old time native American. But if a guy is very curious and if he knows the general contractor on the project then he should be able to tell the name of the company that provides him the dirt. Then it may or may not be easy to find out where is the source of fill dirt. It is common in areas that have sandy or loamy soils to bring in red clay and compact it before pouring a slab for a building or paved area. Some time the fill dirt may have to be brought in from a long way off and sometimes there are good clay sources nearby. If the dirt hauler is getting it from multiple sources then it could be tough finding it. I think there is a fair amount of red clay in central Kentucky, lots of times when leveling a future construction site the clay can be taken off and stockpiled and later sold for fill purposes such as your slab. We've all heard the saying, "dirtcheap" or "cheap as dirt". Where I now live near the Gulf of Mexico builders have to go a long way to get red clay for fill dirt. It is not cheap down here.

Comment

Thank you. I spoke with the builder and he said it came from a county over is all he knew but I agree it would be alot if trouble to find the exact location but I do alot of work for him so I'll just keep looking and let them bring the dirt to me.

Comment

Nice find!!!

I too have been the guy in the hole with a jack hammer or more often a tamper. I never found
                a single artifact but I did pull a great big black snake out of one and you would be surprised how many guys will run from a snake even if your holding it! LOL

Von

Comment

What a great story & super find! Congrats.
                  Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                  X