X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New dig site

deleted

​​​
    Last edited by frogyrogy; 03-20-2018, 03:36 PM.

Congrats, look's archaic to me.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Hi frogyrogy. Great finds for sure. And I agree that it looks mid Archaic to me. If I remember correctly you live near the Tenn. River in TN not far north of AL. It looks like much of what I use to find in north Alabama. What are you using to dig with? A hand trowel, a small shovel, etc. and are you sifting your dirt? I'm curious because I want to get a feel for how much effort you had to expend in making those finds. Is it on a site that has never been disturbed or is it in an area that was once deeply plowed and allowed to grow back. To find middle Archaic so close to the surface on a site that may have been multcomponent seem a bit strange if the ground had never been disturbed. If I had to guess I would say you are not digging in virgin woodland if you are near the Tennessee River. I hope you are the only one with permission to dig. What you find could be very exciting and a great learning experience. If it were me and the property owner does not mind I would suggest that you not backfill untill you thought you exhaused the hole you are digging. And record the depth that each artifact was found. Also, if you make perpendicular sides to your four foot square you should be able to tell at what depth the soil has been disturbed. Once below the disturbed level it may or may not be very exciting. Good luck to ya.

Comment

Paying out well. Congrats on the new site and finds.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hey Frog. That is very good advice from Sailor there. It looks like you have a very good place that has the potential to really yield some nice things. For only digging down a foot in a 16 sq ft area that is quite a haul. I would take the time to make notes and such. Keep us updated on your finds as it looks like you are onto something nice...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Looks like you found another good spot
            South Dakota

Comment

That drill is awesome.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hardin county....man, that brings some great memories....I spent the summers of my youth less than a mile from the Hardin county line, and actually made many a trip across the line with my Grandpa when he would "go see a man about a dog" ...which was apparently code for "get some moonshine."

He lived almost on the banks of the Tennessee River, and lots of the older men in town had huge collections of points. One guy that was buried in the local cemetery had his grave covered in concrete with dozens or maybe hundreds of points embedded in the surface. I remember thinking that was the coolest thing I had ever seen when I was about 10 years old.
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Congratulations. Very nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X