Before the Plastic Cover....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before the Plastic Cover....

One of the farmers who gives us permission to walk his fields began putting his crops in one of those fields under plastic a few years back. It's a growing trend among farms in general in RI and Ma. With a very tiny window of opportunity between plowing up, and then planting and covering in plastic, on Wed. I put a couple hours in, since we had gotten about 3" of rain over 2 days.

This field has always been problematic when it's been saturated that much. Sure enough, at one point I suddenly sank, both legs a little past my knees, and I'm tall. Had to lean face forward into the mud and use my elbows to push down to extricate myself. And briefly, it was questionable if I could do it, or would need to phone for assistance:-(
    Kept getting one leg out, and then promptly falling forward into the mud.

But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and that's what a hot shower is for, lol. I wet the argillite point to show what it looks like in a wet field.

Wading Rivers, Squibnocket Stemmed, and quartz end scraper.....

Last edited by CMD; 04-28-2017, 09:29 AM.
    Rhode Island

The fields are good to be walking this week! With some fresh plows, and all the rain mass and ri has been experiencing this week i'm not surprised you scored!
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

Originally posted by Pointhead View Post
      The fields are good to be walking this week! With some fresh plows, and all the rain mass and ri has been experiencing this week i'm not surprised you scored!
      Without that rain, the plastic cover would have beaten me to any finds. Two days later, and all the plastic is down, no dirt showing. It's a shame, because this place has always been "old reliable" over the years. A variety, not so much, but when friends or family, my two sisters for example, wanted to find their first point, that's where I took them....

Rhode Island

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        For some reason, since the last site upgrade, all my archived photos show up midget sized, even though all of them were taken using my iPad camera, then, as well as now. Sorry 'bout that, lol....

• -=METACOM=-
        -=METACOM=- commented
        Editing a comment
        That's an impressive lot right there, shame about the plastic.

thats one heck of a collection from one spot!! I've yet to encounter the plastic cover slowing hunting production for a year, but I'm sure when and if I do i'll be sad. Seems to be me you had this walk well planned and thought out to beat the plastic cover to the points! Being a glass half full kind of guy, atleast the cover keeps other hunters from hitting one of your old reliable spots for a while as well!
      Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Most years, I'd just wait till it dried out more. It's no fun on old joints walking on a surface that is saturated and yields so easily. To call it a workout for old bones is putting it mildly. But, I knew it was now or never, and without that rain, it would have been never where this season was concerned. My biggest regret was not walking every square inch. I left a lot of field behind, knowing there would be no tomorrow.

Hey Charlie, That Argillite Wading River point is just gorgeous. All nice finds but that one is special. Glad you got out of that quagmire successfully Buddy.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Ron. Yeah, that one has a thin needle tip. Surprised that tip survived....

Nice finds Charlie
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

That would be scary if you were out there by yourself and could not reach your cellphone.
        Fantastic results though for all of that.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Great finds Charlie! I love that argillite point!
          jeff

Comment

Nice haul Charlie thank you for sharing the finds
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Very nice! I love the tip on that argillite point.

Comment

What a picture you would have made knee deep in mud! Good day and looks like you have had many years of good hunting and good times in that field. That is one sweet single site collection.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And when I got home, we're on the second floor, and I open the door and say "Helen, come see what I look like!" Lol. I say, "here, take these", and hand her the points. "OK, now here's my keys, my wallet". Then I had to take all my clothes off in the hallway, lol. In a way, I wish someone had been in the field to take a photo. I would use it as my avatar! Lol...

• gregszybala
                  gregszybala commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It would make a great avatar. If there was a photo and we had access you know we would have it plastered all over the place!

• -=METACOM=-
                  -=METACOM=- commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol, You and Helen seem to have a knack for sinking into mud.

Okay I'm officially jealous my friend. Way to go!
                Child of the tides

Comment

Nice finds Charlie. Some of those quartz "points" show the tool use theory that Beaudreau talked about.

Comment

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right you are, Alan. Was thinking the same thing myself.....

Any chance you can get those pics up in full size? I'd really like to take a close look at that site collection.

Comment

I bet that was a bit of a panic moment when you were stuck knee deep in mud. Been there before and its not fun. You seemed to have had quite the day though. Nice ones Charlie. I love the name squibnocket for some odd reason. Just has a nice ring to it and we don't have them here haha.
                    Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, Squibnocket does roll off the tongue. Lots of Native place names around here.

Yes, there was a moment of panic. I did not want to call for help, and I did not want a farm hand to find me like that!
                  Working...
                  X