Empire of the Summer Moon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empire of the Summer Moon

My wife got me this book for my birthday.  Bless her heart.  I wasn't really expecting it to be so interesting to me because it is about the Comanches and I am mostly interested in Eastern Natives...boy I am glad she got it.  Amazing book so far and very easy to read.

Montani Semper Liberi

I loved that book!    Wonderful
    South Dakota

Comment

Great book.....Comanches....wow, they made the Sioux look like whimps.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will read it since it has such high praise.
        \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Read it a couple years ago. Great read, highly recommend it. Yes the Commanches were quite the society. Great book.
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I loved this book! Have always found the horse cultures fascinating.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Just finished summer moon and absolutely loved it. Didn't know much about plains Indians life and horse tribes and this read opened a new door of thinking for me. Quannah Parker's life was brilliantly captured and the emotional range throughout varies from edge of your seat excitement to heartbreaking periods that will bring a tear to your eye. A must read for any history buff.

Comment

Luke. Thanks for the lead to a good read. I'll have to get the book for my library. The Kiowa were great Horseman also. Here's a Cabinet photo of mine taken about "1900" Reverand M.A Clark a missionary to the Comanche, with his Family gathered with group of Comanche Women and children. One of Quanna Parkers sons "White Parker" married Clark's daughter Laura. She's pictured in this photo ,standing far right. Another interesting thing is "White Parker" went on and did some Acting! He is Featured in a "1920" silent movie "The Daughters of the Dawn" the movie Amazingly featured a cast of 300 all Indian Kiowa and Comanche Cast! Far cry from the 1950 & 60s western flicks with imposters Spray painted up to play the part. I have never seen the film. Hope to some day if it's out there , cause it would be something to see!

Comment

Great photo
                South Dakota

Comment

I always assumed the Sioux and Crow's were the bad asses of the west, sheeesh.....the Comanches were hardcore. It's a great read.

Comment

One of my favorite books, a must read! Just started The Heart Of Everything That Is. The untold story of Red Cloud An American Legend. Already hooked on this one! Keep loaning summer moon to friends.
                    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
                      lukecreekwalker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Please read the frontiersmen by eckert if you haven't already. Still my favorite

Thanks for the recommendation will order today. Got undaunted courage next then it's Frontiersmen.
                    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
                      lukecreekwalker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You will absolutely love it. Let me know what you think of it. I wish someone would hurry up and make a movie about it. It would be a huge success

If you liked this book, read Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides. It goes right along with this one and is equally as good.
                    South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Sugaree View Post
                      One of my favorite books, a must read! Just started The Heart Of Everything That Is. The untold story of Red Cloud An American Legend. Already hooked on this one! Keep loaning summer moon to friends.
                      I have this one too, but haven't read it yet.
                      South Dakota

Comment

Fantastic book I'm reading it now. One thing I was surprised to learn, was the raping of women as standard practice. I've read many books about natives (mostly northeast), and can't recall a single instance of rape reported. Plenty of torture and atrocities reported, by the Jesuits accounts especially, but not rape. I'd given this thought In the past and assumed it was cultural taboo to rape. Clearly it wasn't for the Commanche Warrior culture...Love the book.

I agree the Frontiersman by Alan Eckert is great. Everyone here would be glad they read it. Used hardcover copies can be had for $5-10 on amazn. Wilderness Empire by him also excellent...

Pic of retired Quanna Parker, half breed Commanche Chief. You didn't want cross him back in the day
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	494a5fd886ce6764b396b6ae68eb962e.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	278944

Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

Working...
                        X