X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Flint Types

Bought from Ohio Arch Society $60

Pros: Hardback
    Cons: Picture quality is horrible. Hard to identify "types" of chert if they aren't labeled. They show many pictures of points and say what they are commonly made of but do not label them on the pictures. At the end of the book they have different types labeled but the resolution of the pictures is awful.

Overall rating: 5/10

Suggestion: Use google to identify chert types.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Thanks for the heads up!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. Sounds like it is not with 60.00
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

My advice column costs $60. I will send the bill to your secretary Hoss lol
        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL

Just really frustrating because the book could be so much better. Not worth your dime I agree fully
        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Thanks, that one was on my list. Have read often that it was one of the go to books for identification in the Ohio area.
          I bought DeReganaucourt's, Prehistoric Chert types of the Midwest based on recommendations. The photography is terrible.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the heads up Greg!

The pictures in the middle of the book are great but they don't label what they are. The pictures at the end that are supposed to help you identify look like that still image of bigfoot you always see from the Patterson film. Not knocking it just to knock it just trying to give an honest opinion
          Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

There is a serious lack of available resources on lithic materials, by that I mean ones with good photos that are reliable. One area you can tell is if you've ever seen a lot of coa's, the guys who are doing those even have a hard time accurately attributing lithic materials. I think the professional community hold the best resources as far as lithic go, but they aren't interested in making a comprehensive tool that covers a larger area outside of there own areas of expertise.
            I think dedicated work on that front, here on this site could fill that void for a lot of people. Sometimes I wish I was able (financially) to spend the time it takes to travel and collect examples of all of the various types of cherts and make my own comprehensive guide (even if for just one state). I've had a passion for collecting rocks way before I ever began collecting artifacts... But I really do think this community has a great advantage in that area because we have members everywhere. I try to help if I'm able but shoot how do you know exactly what you have when there are no resources to check and be sure! There are plenty of less common lithic types from from Kentucky I know I've seen, but shoot how could I be sure? Lol I could go on and on... We need to fix this lol
            Last edited by Kyflintguy; 04-26-2016, 06:35 PM.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I have the same interest in rocks since I was a kid peddling gravel driveways and looking for fools gold and fossils. One neighbor would always bring me back those polished minerals they sell in gift shops when they went on vacation. I know for a fact that google isn't always the most reliable. One of the images of flint ridge is a picture of my hand holding fort Payne. Not even show how or why it shows up. We do have a forum on here dedicated to lithics but I am no confident enough to post there because I don't know 100% if I am correct in calling it one thing or another. Maybe I will try to post a few and if I am wrong call it out
              Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Maybe add another category and dedicate it to lithics by region? Have it broke up in to the same regions as Overstreet or something simpler. Have people fill in as they please to help the community. Just some thoughts
                Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Best site I have seen. http://www.theaaca.com/lithnics/
                  Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

We have that on the site in the information Center. Must be overlooked?
                    I have been slowly adding lithics to it but that's the hardest problem as you addressed above Ky. Either good info on the more obscure lithics or good photos and knowing if that info and photos are accurate.
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
                      lukecreekwalker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yea. Sorry about that Greg. I see it now. If we have pictures to add to it do we just send them to you or add them on our own?
                  Working...
                  X