The Last Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Stand

If you're interested in Custer's Last Stand, read this one by Nathaniel Philbrick. I thought it was very well written, and super interesting. Top on my list.
    South Dakota

I've been fascinated with Custer's last stand ever since I read a book about it in 7th grade. Over the years my attitude changed towards Custer from one of sympathy to one of distain. He was a pompous ass who led his men to slaughter.

Since then Ive read several books on the subject, including James Donovan's excellent book 'A Terrible Glory'. I will certainly add this book to my library. Thanks!
    Child of the tides

Comment

Read it a couple years back. Great read. The phrase "never underestimate your opponent" really comes to. If I remember that book correctly the soldiers desecrated a burial ground by riding through it against warning by Crow and Shoshoni scouts and that action led to a great fury among the Native Americans...one of several blunders that led to the massacre. I am currently reading "Custer's Fall" The Native Americans side of the story...also a very good read..
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Baba - Who is the author of your book "Custer's Fall?"

You might also enjoy Follow the River by James Alexander Thom. It's the true story of Mary Ingles., who in 1755 was kidnapped by Shawnees from her settlement in Draper's Meadow near Blacksburg, VA and taken more than a thousand miles west. Pregnant, she gave birth on the trail, earning the respect of her captors.
      Determined to return home to her husband, she pretended to assimilate into the tribe before slipping away, leaving her child behind, and traveling by foot along first the Ohio and the the New River to try and get home.
      Child of the tides

Comment

I'm definitely going to check out your recommendation Gary. I've read several books written about Custer from his days in the academy through his Last Stand. Am in agreement with Deb's opinion of him.
        As a career military man I became fascinated by Gen Custer and his 7th Cav. How he elicited the unquestionable loyalty of his men while literally throwing them away in battle. I wanted to know what he did so right that caused his troops to support him even unto death. The answer was that he made sure his men were taken care of as best he could and he very often placed himself in the same conditions (along with his wife) as his men suffered. Back then the enlisted men were apolitical and sought a leader that showed them compassion and lead by example, which was missing in many of the military leaders of that day. Custer's motivation was totally political towards eventually being President of the US. Unfortunately his political ambitions combined with his military strategy (get there first and kill the most) resulted in useless and numerous deaths of his enlisted fighters. Custer's last stand was a typical example of Custer's "be first with the most" philosophy. He totally underestimated the Native American strength and just assumed that his superior fire power and determination of his men would carry the day and he was sorely wrong. There aren't many books, written back in our early history that gave a true picture of Custer - They mostly marginalized the Native American and eulogized Custer. Enough already - I'll get off my soap box now. Sorry. Just got carried away.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          He chose to ignore the reports of his scouts and intelligence folks who told him there were more tepees than they could count. He couldn't envision the "savages" forming a coilition of seasoned warriors.

• SDhunter
          SDhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I tend to agree with you. Another good read, which you may already have read, is his own account, called My Life on the plains. Something like that. Also very interesting, but his own autobiography, so could be slanted. Philbbrick just tells the story so well. I have been to the site, so that helps with the geography.

My great great grandfather fought in the army of northern Virginia through the entire war. His life is well documented in the book, Lee's Last Major General. Bryan Grimes of North Carolina. Anyhow, his troops captured some of Custers calvary and it contained letters from Custer and his wife. I will take a picture of the page. I thought some of you may find it interesting.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by SDhunter; 03-02-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Big_Man_(film)
          Great movie
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

The author of Custer's Fall is David Humphreys Miller Chuck. It is a great read and really explains the NA way of life and just how they interpreted the white man's ways.
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• SDhunter
              SDhunter commented
              Editing a comment
              I will have to read this one. I wrote it in my books to read notebook
          Working...
          X