Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever seen anything like this?

This was found by a friend of mine recently. I have a few ideas but am not 100% sure of what it was used for. It was found in west central Illinois. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6211.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	206511
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Its a eight legged turtle.put looks to me a blunt point or some type of scraper.nice find thats pretty kool.

Comment

Or spider

Comment

Notching practice?

Comment

As for another item posted elsewhere, I would simply call it a denticulate. A really nice denticulate. There are a dozen examples from the Olive Branch Site in Illinois illustrated at the link below. Although generally regarded as "sawing" tools for softer materials (wood, bone, meat etc) there must be more to it than this. Often - as on some of those examples - the teeth are on extremely curved surfaces, whereas they would have a better functionality for sawing if the teeth were along a straighter edge... as is more usually the case. Since the serrations are often on two opposing edges or sometimes almost all the way round smaller items, they must have been hafted into a handle of some kind.

http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-...lateslarge.htm

I have a really nice Neolithic African example with teeth all the way round which I was told was probably for fish-scaling. I could well believe it since it doesn't exhibit significant use-wear and the serrations are not particularly sharp.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

That's definitely an odd item. Never seen anything like it in person.

Comment

If real ,might be considered an "eccentric". Just shopwing off their skill

Comment

I think Roger is on to something with denticulate tool.

The base looks slightly Snyder'ish to me. Kind of out of my area. I would love to hear Rays opinion.
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Very unusual
                  South Dakota

Comment

Any chance of a few more snaps of that lithic?
                    That is very cool.

Comment

Looks like Attica Chert to me.
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It is an ancient "Spark Plug Gap Setter"
                        \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Dang, I see these all the time! I pass em up thinking its just some old natural creek rocks. I will grab some up and get pics. Super cool.

Comment

Working...
                          X