Need help with this ... rare tool with fossil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with this ... rare tool with fossil

Found many years ago at my family cabin near Shelton Washington on hood canal. I believe it might have been used to smash open clams or other shellfish or it may have been used to grind herbs or other items. I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is and what it might be worth. Any help is appreciated thank you.

Oh that is a AA battery in one of the pics for a size reference.

Comment

A few more pics with a better view of some of the markings. By the way I'm not really interested in selling this item at this point I just want to know what it's worth.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Sadly, that's neither rare, nor a Native American tool.

It's a rock (probably extrusive igneous) that has taken on a very odd shape and which appears to have a phenocryst or a piece of another rock type trapped in it. I don't see a fossil. Igneous rocks don't have fossils. I wouldn't be surprised if it was basaltic. It very clearly has its original cortex in place, with no sign of impact damage or use wear on what would correspond to the working surfaces if someone had used it in the manner you describe.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hmm ... OK thank you. One question though the ring around the rock appears to be chipped away what would cause this? I wish I had a better camera so I cold get a better pic of this

Comment

I'D bring it Home! Look's kind of interesting..
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shayd View Post
              Hmm ... OK thank you. One question though the ring around the rock appears to be chipped away what would cause this? I wish I had a better camera so I cold get a better pic of this
              I don’t see chipping or pecking. I see a band that has a very different granular texture compared to the rest of the rock and which has weathered differently. When you see that in extrusive igneous rocks it’s usually the result of partial melting during extrusive flow, such that different minerals within the host rock solidify/crystallise in different ways as they cool. Partial melting would also explain why it has an unmelted clast of another rock type in it.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
              X