Pelican?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelican?

Could use a little help identifying this point. I am thinking maybe pelican but am not sure. It is a surface find from northern Arkansas. Thanks for your help.

Nice point made out of some interesting material
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Do you mean Pelican Lake? Then for sure no. I don't see any types called Pelican in your area. It would be a stemmed point. A Pelican lake is a corner notched point.
      South Dakota

Comment

Lawman - That looks remarkably like a Clovis, with the exception of the absent fluting. I think you're ID is probably correct. Like willjo says, that's some really interesting lithic. ...Chuck
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I was thinking Pelican as it was the closest one I could find to this one's shape. @ SDhunter, was not meaning Pelican lake. the info I got was from projectilepoints.net

Comment

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Lawman - I got my info from Overstreet - 14th Edition and it has both Pelican Lake and Pelican but Pelican Lake is not assatciated with our area, more with North Pacific region. Pelican is Paleo while Pelican Lake is Late Archaic.

Comment

It looks very possible, is it ground too?
            That is a different lithic.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Sorry I don't know what you mean by "ground" I'm pretty green with the terms lol...

Comment

• gregszybala
                gregszybala commented
                Editing a comment
                ground means that the edges at the hafting areas have been smoothed down compared to the rest of the point.

Hi LM7. Someone with knowledge of points in your area may be able to help you here and it is not me. Having said that, I see characteristics that suggest several different types from different time periods, none of which are Clovis. Because of the rough appearance of its edges I can't figure out if it was heavily used or not quite finished. There are many points that we collect where it is not possible to assign them to a classified type. I had many such unidentifiable points and I had 93 different identifiable types in my collection, all of which were personal finds. I had many points, completely made, not broken that I could not ID as to a particular type. Like I said someone with expert knowledge of your area may be able to nail it By the way, general shape and form is only one of the characters that are used in correctly identifying points.

Comment

I guess I would have put that in the expanding stemmed point varieties.
                South Dakota

Comment

Nope help with ID but you found a nice one.

Comment

Agree this is not Clovis but does look paleo. SJ is right in that sometimes we struggle to pin a clear ID to a point. Types have "typical" because a certain form has established a consistent profile that eventually earns a name.
                    Ancient knappers were constantly experimenting-- striving for that better mousetrap so to speak.
                    Suffice to say you've found a gem even if you can't ID it.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

The point has the form of a Pelican point including the cross sectional form but because of the lack of fine edgework and apparent lack of basal and lateral edge grinding at the halfing area which are other characteristics of the Pelican point then a feller just can't say for sure what it is. May be an unfinished Pelican or maybe not. We often find points that are rough looking so as often as not we can't make a good ID. Pelican points are considered to be Transitional Paleo period points and not Paleo.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your helpful insight.... It is very much appreciated!!

Comment

Working...
                        X