ID:	241432Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	241433Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0727.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	241431 I got a pocket full of brokes and manos but my friend found this beauty. I'm thinking archaic, base is ground. Any help on type is appreciated!

Cool find your friend made, that patina looks thick! Has a middle archaic/ Benton look to me. Just a guess though someone else may have a better suggestion. Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hey Dylan, That's a nice one. I really like that base: Will have to knap one.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That's a nice one.

Comment

What area was that found?
          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• OBION
            OBION commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry. Usually try to include that. NW Tn. The angle/grind on the base is unique to all I have seen from around here. Creek find

Check this out, I decided to check into my Benton suggestion so I referenced the "Handbook for Alabama Archaeology" this think this description fits perfectly.
          BENTON BROAD STEMMED, Cambron (This Paper): A-9-a

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: This is a medium to large, broad-stemmed point with steeply beveled stem edges.

MEASUREMENTS: The measurements of the illustrated example are: length, 66 mm.; shoulder width, 32 mm.; stem width, 28 mm.; stem length, 11 mm.; thickness, 9 mm.

FORM: The cross-section may be flattened or biconvex. The shoulders are narrow and may be horizontal or tapered. The blade is usually excurvate, the distal end acute. The stem is usually slightly expanded, but may be straight. It is very broad and short. The stem side edges are usually incurvate or straight and beveled. The beveled basal edge is usually straight but may be slightly incurvate or excurvate.

FLAKING: The blade and stem display broad, shallow, random flaking. Some broad retouching was used to finish the blade and stem edges. The stem appears to have been formed by the removal of the corners of the original basal edge.

COMMENTS: The type name was derived from the Benton Stemmed point, to which it seems to be closely associated both typologically and culturally. The outstanding differences between the two are the exceptionally broad stem and broader, shorter blade of the Benton Broad Stem point. The type does not appear as frequently or in as great numbers as Benton Stemmed. The illustrated example is from Cambron Site 48, Lincoln County, Tennessee. Due to its association with Benton Stemmed and Buzzard Roost Creek points, it is considered to be an Archaic point and is probably coeval with these types, dating from about 4000 B.C. to 2000 B.C.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• OBION
            OBION commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Josh! I will pass that on to him. Good call

Nice piece, I agree with josh. Looks like you are a good luck charm for your friends. Taking a friend automatically decreases your odds by fifty percent but it seems more exciting to have someone to share the experience with.

Comment

That is a very nice one
            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
            X